Hypothermic Chicken - Need Help!

JuneBugRanch

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Hello. I have an emergency situation. I have a 4 month old blind plymouth rock rooster. I knew he was blind when we got him and have hand fed and watered him. The other chickens shun him and last night in the coop it go below freezing here where I live and I guess no one would cuddle him for warmth. I just found him in the coop as I was away last night and he was almost frozen, he's alive and I'm trying everything to get him warm. Blow dryer, hot towels out of the dryer, warm water in his mouth. I really don't want to lose him, someone please help me and tell me what I'm leaving out that can save this guy. thanks in advance - Angie.

Sounds like you're doing all possible to warm him up, it takes time and don't panic, keep calm for his sake... I'd think about making him a housepet w/cage in your home if he recouperates. You could put a dark blanket over his cage at night as people do for parrots or parakeets, cockatiels, etc...

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry. I wish I could help you more but I'm not an expert. I have heard though that you shouldn't try to heat him up too quickly. Just keep him inside with you and maybe hold him, for now. Someone more knowledgable should be along shortly to help you more.

Thank you. I've read this forum many times but I'm never one to post until now. I've got him wrapped up in warm towels and he responds to my voice.

This is going to sound silly but not only is he blind, he is retarded or something so his strange movements are just like he usually makes. His neck is what is worrying me the most, it's quite stiff and he can't swallow the warm water I put in his mouth.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Why not read about some of the techniques they use for hypothermia in humans? I suggest holding him close to you so that he can benefit from your own body heat. Liquids are good if he can swallow, but if he can't, don't force him. If you have an eyedropper or a turkey baster you could drip a tiny bit of water into his beak.

http://www.natureskills.com/hypothermia_treatment.html

hi, i wouldnt put water in his mouth if he isnt swallowing right, he could asperiate it into his lungs...are you sure he was getting enough to eat with the other birds outside?..maybe he has low sugar from not eating or something..just throwing out ideas..

Twice a day for as long as I've had him I have hand fed him twice daily and he gets sunshine outside in the large run area. The other chickens free feed all over the yard but I kept this one "Ray" in the run for his own protection. I'm surprised that he hasn't been picked to death yet but instead of being mean to him, they ignore him. I also dip his beak into the water twice a day and he drinks very well. He is definately smaller than the others his own age but his is not starved. My assumption was the cold last night in their coop. Maybe 35 slightly above freezing, the other chickens are all doing great like normal so I assumed he couldn't find them for warmth as they roost and he can't.

I think if he makes it through this he's going to be a house chicken in the winter! I don't trust him finding a heat lamp. He's in pretty bad shape but he's blinking his eyes when I talk to him and stretching out his legs, it's his neck that is so stiff and all of his muscle was cold as ice when I found him.
I'm not going to guilt myself - BUT I should have forseen this with the weather last night.

Give him some warm sugar water if he can safely swallow. Warm him slowly. A fleece blanket placed in the dryer for just a few minutes holds heat longer than a towel. Check the temp of blanket against the inside of your forearm like you would a baby bottle. You should be able to hold against your skin without any discomfort. Keep him in a quite area.
Good Luck

sad.png
so sorry to hear about your roo- warming up too fast is not a good idea - but having had animals forever it does make sense if the others are shunning him to make him an indoor pet if he makes it and i have heard about people giving yogurt as it has lots of good stuff for his gut in it - also have you called your vet yet? i think that would be a great place to start especially if you have exhausted all of your knowledge , good luck !
michelle

Back
Top Bottom