I’m confused about egg color

colette peters

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
Fairfax, California
I'm a bit confused I thought Ameraucana was to lay green colored eggs? I just went to the nesting box, and literally witnessed her laying.
I’ve attached photos to confirm breed. Or if someone can tell me why it’s cream colored?
Thanks
3417491F-9790-47EC-87A4-B23A5F2EA881.jpeg 1922FBE0-E7C8-44CC-8253-3D3D75AC221E.jpeg

They can lay any color egg. You never know what they will lay until they lay one. Still a pretty egg though.
Seems strange that it’s just a gamble what color you are going to get. Isn’t a breed a breed? It’s like a maran will lay a large brown egg.
The reason I chose an Ameraucana for the color.
And Yes, she gave us a beautiful healthy egg :love

It's definitely not as simple as breed "x" lays a certain color of egg. Egg shell color is a polygenetic trait, which means there are more than 2 genes responsible for influencing color. While that doesn't mean they can lay "any" color, there usually is a "range of color(s)" a specific breed will produce.

It's definitely not as simple as breed "x" lays a certain color of egg. Egg shell color is a polygenetic trait, which means there are more than 2 genes responsible for influencing color. While that doesn't mean they can lay "any" color, there usually is a "range of color(s)" a specific breed will produce.
This is what states I’m buying. This is a reputable feed store on Pete Lima California.

This is what I was going after when I thought I was getting a hen that will lay green eggs

Attachments

• 3AC36A5A-CE43-427F-823A-92682D44973D.jpeg
    3AC36A5A-CE43-427F-823A-92682D44973D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom