I’ve been doing my run completely wrong!

Kvanderson

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
I’m a beginner/self teaching dont be harsh. I’ve done quite a bit of reading about how to help my chicken run be less muddy in the spring and I didn’t find the best information. There were great tips but no help that went in depth. My problem is that my run gets very muddy and hasn’t drained properly (because I didn’t do it correctly for the first year) so it’s very tall deep mud. I threw some straw out today to clean their feet. I need to clean all of it out and get it to the bottom layer of clean dirt to start over. I have a few questions about this..

Should the run be covered? It has been partially covered the entire year and that didn’t help at all. I just removed it because the tarp was torn after a year.

Will straw alone do what I need as far as drainage and year round living? If not, what’s recommended.

what is the best way to get all of that mud out of there? I don’t compost or have woods near me
(That red coop inside the run is where I’m going to put the new chicks to introduce them then it’s coming out. The shed is the adult coop)

Attachments

• 94520540-C6CF-4160-BE6E-57B276B2F3ED.jpeg
    94520540-C6CF-4160-BE6E-57B276B2F3ED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
First thing is to get the water out of the run. Are the timbers all the way around the run and holding the water in? Where does the water go off the coop? It's probably going to be a summer job to do it right. Throw down a wood pallet to give them a dry spot to stand on for now
The wood is only in the side that you can see because they started a pretty nice hole that a predator could get into. The water naturally drains out of the front corner going beside the front of the coop but I’m going to install my own drainage to direct it all out once it gets hot.

Read this

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

Should the run be covered?
Covering can help keep some water out, but rain or snow will blow in from the side. Covering can be part of the solution but it is usually not the complete answer.

Will straw alone do what I need as far as drainage and year round living? If not, what’s recommended.
Just throwing bedding in there is not a permanent solution, I don't care what bedding you use. Temporarily you can use bedding to give them a dry place to stand or toss in pallets or something for them and you to be above the mud. A good permanent fix for that is probably going to wait on dry weather.

For a permanent solution, you need to determine where the water is coming from and try to keep it out. That could be rain or snow from the open top or blowing in from the sides, if that is a low spot it could be draining from higher ground, the slope of the roofs could funnel water in there. The fix or fixes for that will depend on where the water is coming from.

A permanent solution also includes getting water out once it gets in. If it has somewhere to drain to, gravity will get it out. So does that have a lower spot to drain to? It's not that easy though. You probably have more clay than sand in that soil. Clay holds water, does not allow it to drain away. I see you are planning on a drain. Good.

what is the best way to get all of that mud out of there?
If you dig the mud out all you have done is dig a bath tub that will hold water if it is in clay, even if you fill it with sand. I would not dig it out. Read Pat's article, she talks about this some. You need to build it up so it will drain. She suggests gravel with sand on top if you go that route. I'd use some type of round rock like river rock or pea gravel instead a crushed gravel. Crushed gravel can have sharp edges which might cut their feet when scratching.

When I built my ground level coop I hauled in a few inches of clay soil to build the coop floor level up above the outside level to keep water out. And I did a swale and berm system on the uphill side to keep rainwater runoff out of both coop and run. The run is on a bit of a rise so it drains fairly well and it is mostly covered but when the weather sets in wet for long it still gets muddy. My chickens can get up out of it and I dump bags of pea gravel in strategic places so I can get out there without sinking into the mud. I just live with some mud but it doesn't get that bad.

Good luck, mud is frustrating.

You don't have where you live in your avatar...
I would not do sand BUT I would dig out the dirt, make 1 foot wide trenches from the high side to the low side of the run and fill with sand -> lets water drain out.
But an inch layer of sand, layer of straw (not hay), then 4 inches of dirt. If you want to be special... at 3 inches of dirt toss cracked corn all over then put another 1-2 inches of dirt. This will give the girls some FUN !!

Also, cover 1/2 the run with either a thick tarp or wood/plastic boards. This is for shade and to cover from rain. Closest to the coop is better.
LOVE the use of the Metal pipes for run cover ;)

Mine is just construction sand. Pretty cheap by the truck load or if your near a creek bank on your property. I hauled mine 5 gallon bucket at a time. I work construction so I have easy access to sand. I also have a creek on my property if I needed some.

Back
Top Bottom