I’ve decided to get Runner ducks any advice for me?

Hi! Congrats on getting runners - such cute, sweet and entertaining ducks! Can't wait to see pics! You've gotten great tips so far - not too much to add to all the good stuff @DuckyDonna covered! :D I just want to comment on the concrete and drainage.

We put a concrete pad under our run, then laid cheap linoleum over that. Then we put hay/pine shavings in the cold months in the run and house. Last summer I just hosed out the run instead of using bedding. However it never stopped raining last summer, combine that with ducks splashing and me spraying their run out, I ended up having to put in a drainage area next to the run going into an underground pipe distributed out into the yard. I switched to sand later and really liked it b/c it scoops so easily - and it's dry LOL.

I hear people talk about how stinky ducks are but I don't have any problem with odors. My Mother even says the ducks don't stink - and she thinks ALL animals stink :rolleyes: I scoop the big stuff out twice daily and take it to the compost pile - then fluff the bedding. I also rotate the bedding... I scoop more from the run everyday, so I take bedding from the house to fill the run. Then all the new/fresh bedding goes into the house. Side note - I see people selling their USED chicken and duck bedding on craigslist for other people to buy for their compost piles - something to consider if you don't have a compost pile of your own ;)

You may try a few things before you find what works best for you. What I learned is that the duck house/run/yard/etc is the project that never ends!!! :lau But it's a fun project! And our babies are worth it!

Have fun!!!:frow

Hi! Congrats on getting runners - such cute, sweet and entertaining ducks! Can't wait to see pics! You've gotten great tips so far - not too much to add to all the good stuff @DuckyDonna covered! :D I just want to comment on the concrete and drainage.

We put a concrete pad under our run, then laid cheap linoleum over that. Then we put hay/pine shavings in the cold months in the run and house. Last summer I just hosed out the run instead of using bedding. However, it never stopped raining last summer, combine that with ducks splashing and me spraying their run out, I ended up having to put in a drainage area next to the run going into an underground pipe distributed out into the yard. I switched to sand later and really liked it b/c it scoops so easily - and it's dry LOL.

I hear people talk about how stinky ducks are but I don't have any problem with odors. My Mother even says the ducks don't stink - and she thinks ALL animals stink :rolleyes: I scoop the big stuff out twice daily and take it to the compost pile - then fluff the bedding. I also rotate the bedding... I scoop more from the run every day, so I take bedding from the house to fill the run. Then all the new/fresh bedding goes into the house. Side note - I see people selling their USED chicken and duck bedding on craigslist for other people to buy for their compost piles - something to consider if you don't have a compost pile of your own ;)

You may try a few things before you find what works best for you. What I learned is that the duck house/run/yard/etc is the project that never ends!!! :lau But it's a fun project! And our babies are worth it!

I do the same thing with the scooping out the "big" stuff every morning and I just throw it out into the run where right now it just gives them something somewhat dry to walk outside. If it ever stops raining I'll rake it all up and wheelbarrow it into the garden but for now I just leave it in the run. Even though you don't have a compost pile you could put the used hay around your shrubs and I'm sure they will love it! You aren't going to have a ton of it with 3-4 ducks anyway so I just can't see it being a big problem to dispose of. It will be fun and they really aren't that much work!

I have never heard of a cane Corso so after looking it up, wow! I have a border collie and had, until recently, an old Anatolian Shepherd. They were/are both great with my ducks. I was more worried about the Anatolian because she was so huge I was afraid she was going to step on them and squish them. She did once by accident but not harm was done. It did freak me out though. I think if you introduce the ducks to your dog quietly and gently they will know that they are to be protected and not harmed. But....I know nothing about the breed of dog you have so maybe you could research it.

I don't have any concrete platform. I have grass and at present, mud! I do put stones around my water buckets so they can step up and get their heads in really deep but not tip the bucket over. They have never tipped one over the way I'm set up. I also have a great feed bucket with keeps the food dry and they don't tip it over either. I'll sometimes put treats on the bucket cover. There is very little spillage too. View attachment 1682006
View attachment 1682000
I have 2 pens. One is smaller and shorter and we built another on the other side of the opening of the barn that is in reverse of the one in the picture and much taller so I don't hit my head every single time I go in it. You'd think I'd learn to duck! They really really like that little room divider I built. They feel secure with it I guess, like a place to hide.
View attachment 1682001
View attachment 1682002

When I had the orginal 4 runners I just had chicken wire for a fence but have since graduated to a 4' galvanized much much better fence. I didn't bury it but secured it with pins on the bottom and about a million zip ties securing the top netting and fence to the poles! They will need shade in the summer and some kind of shelter in the winter. I know my duck run and pen probably look like redneck hillbilly haven but it's behind our barn and behind it is woods and field so I wasn't worried about beauty, just security. My ducks are always locked in their pen at dusk without fail.
View attachment 1682013
View attachment 1682011
we had all this PVC pipe in the barn so we put it to use. I learned the hard way about netting on the top when a peregrine falcon swooped down and killed my Daisy. Also, a huge king snake got my little Ranger when he was only 4 weeks old. Don't let that happen to you! I had no idea I had to worry about snakes!
View attachment 1682019
That ought to get you started. Just ask away if you have anything I can help with.

Thank you so much! Your pictures are very helpful. I appreciate all the tips/knowledge that I can get! I don’t think it looks hillbilly at all! It looks like a farm should imo :) I really love the wall divider you made for them. I wish I had a large yard/acreage for them :( I’m worried that moving a poultry fence around won’t be enough for them. I’ll be spending as much time as possible with them and I’ll be able to provide a loving, safe and clean environment; just small. I may just get two females instead of three if I think the coop & run size won’t be adequate enough. I read 4 sq ft per duck inside the coop and 20 sq ft per duck for their run. I plan on a 10ft long and 5 ft wide( & 5ft tall for me to get in fairly comfortably I’m 5’2) run with the coop inside it. Like I said I may wait a month or two to get the ducklings so I have ample time to force my man to help build it all lol. I’m also planning on using 1/2 inch hardware wire and wooden posts to build the run and will put the hardware wire on their coop vents/windows. I’ll make sure they’re locked in at night with a raccoon proof latch. I know we have lots of roaming cats in the neighborhood and I’ve seen a few owls. There’s a ton of groundhogs near by; I hope they won’t be an issue! I will bury the fencing for their run a foot underground to be safe. I’m still debating on whether to put a partial roof on the run or just wire. Or maybe just a small 3ft from the ground awning over their food corner where they can get shade. What do you think? I’ll post pictures of everything once it’s done. Oh and my dog is pretty big 130lbs; but so is an Anatolian lol Anatolians (I believe) are usually flock guardians so it is in their nature to be more gentle with other animals. Of course there’s exceptions. My boy is a jealous one and quite high energy for a mastiff. I’m worried he’ll be overly excitable and pushy. I’ll make sure to be very careful and slowly try to get him accustomed to them from the start. He’s never unsupervised so I’m not worried about him around the ducks once they’re outside if he can’t get along with them while they’re tiny.He doesn’t have a high prey drive at least!

I was out in the duck runs this afternoon bringing them treats and took a picture of the new pen for you. Same thing as the other only taller and a bit longer. The floor and roof are each 1 sheet of plywood on pallets. My 2 little piggies, Spot and Dilly are pigging out. They're the only 2 that don't run from me. I hatched them both.View attachment 1682261

That’s great! So you think getting hatching eggs is the way to go to make sure your ducks will be comfortable with you? I really didn’t want to go the incubator route being that I can’t have more ducks lol it will be a big expensive to use once and I’m scared I’ll end up with a couple males or no females. There’s so much to think about! Lol

Hi @IsabellaMarilyn what part of NC are you in I am in Western NC. Your going to love Runners they are what I call the clowns of the barn yard. Looks like @DuckyDonna gave you some great advise and pics. Look. Forward to seeing your little one when you get them!

I live in Granite Falls; close to Lenoir & Hickory. Yes I think their personalities suite me best. I will definitely post pictures when they’re here and their run/coop is built. Thank you!

Thank you so much! Your pictures are very helpful. I appreciate all the tips/knowledge that I can get! I don’t think it looks hillbilly at all! It looks like a farm should imo :) I really love the wall divider you made for them. I wish I had a large yard/acreage for them :( I’m worried that moving a poultry fence around won’t be enough for them. I’ll be spending as much time as possible with them and I’ll be able to provide a loving, safe and clean environment; just small. I may just get two females instead of three if I think the coop & run size won’t be adequate enough. I read 4 sq ft per duck inside the coop and 20 sq ft per duck for their run. I plan on a 10ft long and 5 ft wide( & 5ft tall for me to get in fairly comfortably I’m 5’2) run with the coop inside it. Like I said I may wait a month or two to get the ducklings so I have ample time to force my man to help build it all lol. I’m also planning on using 1/2 inch hardware wire and wooden posts to build the run and will put the hardware wire on their coop vents/windows. I’ll make sure they’re locked in at night with a raccoon proof latch. I know we have lots of roaming cats in the neighborhood and I’ve seen a few owls. There’s a ton of groundhogs near by; I hope they won’t be an issue! I will bury the fencing for their run a foot underground to be safe. I’m still debating on whether to put a partial roof on the run or just wire. Or maybe just a small 3ft from the ground awning over their food corner where they can get shade. What do you think? I’ll post pictures of everything once it’s done. Oh and my dog is pretty big 130lbs; but so is an Anatolian lol Anatolians (I believe) are usually flock guardians so it is in their nature to be more gentle with other animals. Of course there’s exceptions. My boy is a jealous one and quite high energy for a mastiff. I’m worried he’ll be overly excitable and pushy. I’ll make sure to be very careful and slowly try to get him accustomed to them from the start. He’s never unsupervised so I’m not worried about him around the ducks once they’re outside if he can’t get along with them while they’re tiny.He doesn’t have a high prey drive at least!
64E11BDE-A05E-4977-ACAA-0D1F94241B75.jpeg
I bought that wooden duck at a yard sale a couple of years ago (before I ever knew what an Indian runner was lol) I’ve had I sitting on my counter ever since and now I plan on having real runners (who woulda thunk ittt )

055AF199-DE85-4FD8-AB18-B9B436403BA9.jpeg Oh that’s my fur baby Dante with his grandmom (my mother) she’s only 5ft btw her tiny size makes him look way bigger than he is hahaha
View attachment 1682632
I bought that wooden duck at a yard sale a couple of years ago (before I ever knew what an Indian runner was lol) I’ve had I sitting on my counter ever since and now I plan on having real runners (who woulda thunk ittt )

I have never heard of a cane Corso so after looking it up, wow! I have a border collie and had, until recently, an old Anatolian Shepherd. They were/are both great with my ducks. I was more worried about the Anatolian because she was so huge I was afraid she was going to step on them and squish them. She did once by accident but not harm was done. It did freak me out though. I think if you introduce the ducks to your dog quietly and gently they will know that they are to be protected and not harmed. But....I know nothing about the breed of dog you have so maybe you could research it.

I don't have any concrete platform. I have grass and at present, mud! I do put stones around my water buckets so they can step up and get their heads in really deep but not tip the bucket over. They have never tipped one over the way I'm set up. I also have a great feed bucket with keeps the food dry and they don't tip it over either. I'll sometimes put treats on the bucket cover. There is very little spillage too. View attachment 1682006
View attachment 1682000
I have 2 pens. One is smaller and shorter and we built another on the other side of the opening of the barn that is in reverse of the one in the picture and much taller so I don't hit my head every single time I go in it. You'd think I'd learn to duck! They really really like that little room divider I built. They feel secure with it I guess, like a place to hide.
View attachment 1682001
View attachment 1682002

When I had the orginal 4 runners I just had chicken wire for a fence but have since graduated to a 4' galvanized much much better fence. I didn't bury it but secured it with pins on the bottom and about a million zip ties securing the top netting and fence to the poles! They will need shade in the summer and some kind of shelter in the winter. I know my duck run and pen probably look like redneck hillbilly haven but it's behind our barn and behind it is woods and field so I wasn't worried about beauty, just security. My ducks are always locked in their pen at dusk without fail.
View attachment 1682013
View attachment 1682011
we had all this PVC pipe in the barn so we put it to use. I learned the hard way about netting on the top when a peregrine falcon swooped down and killed my Daisy. Also, a huge king snake got my little Ranger when he was only 4 weeks old. Don't let that happen to you! I had no idea I had to worry about snakes!
View attachment 1682019
That ought to get you started. Just ask away if you have anything I can help with.

I forgot to say that I’m definitely going to use your bucket idea! It’s brilliant to have the cut holes on the sides but a lid ontop to keep water out. I like the idea of stones around it to make sure it doesn’t fall too! Thanks!

We put a concrete pad under our run, then laid cheap linoleum over that. Then we put hay/pine shavings in the cold months in the run and house. Last summer I just hosed out the run instead of using bedding. However it never stopped raining last summer, combine that with ducks splashing and me spraying their run out, I ended up having to put in a drainage area next to the run going into an underground pipe distributed out into the yard. I switched to sand later and really liked it b/c it scoops so easily - and it's dry LOL.

I hear people talk about how stinky ducks are but I don't have any problem with odors. My Mother even says the ducks don't stink - and she thinks ALL animals stink :rolleyes: I scoop the big stuff out twice daily and take it to the compost pile - then fluff the bedding. I also rotate the bedding... I scoop more from the run everyday, so I take bedding from the house to fill the run. Then all the new/fresh bedding goes into the house. Side note - I see people selling their USED chicken and duck bedding on craigslist for other people to buy for their compost piles - something to consider if you don't have a compost pile of your own ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience with concrete lol I may just do the deep litter method or sand- maybe I can start out with sand (since it’s more expensive to keep adding) and if that doesn’t work I can go with the deep litter method because straw and hay are much cheaper. Thank you for the other great point you had about selling compost to people who could use it! I’ll give it away gladly for free or maybe I’ll grow a few plants just so I can use it lol but probably not because in reality if it doesn’t have a heartbeat it won’t last around me (I have a black thumb) lol. I’m so nervous about being a good mom to ducklings; I want to do my best to make them as comfortable with me as possible but all the things I’ve heard about their skiddish nature makes me wonder if it’s a coin toss or I need to get eggs. I don’t have a big enough yard to have more than three (3 is even pushing it) plus I’d only want girls because I wouldn’t want a female to be over mated nor would I want a boy that couldn’t have eggs (the the only pro of having ducks my man sees lol) and if I end up with two boys or three boys I’d have to rehome them and by the time I’d be able to tell their sex I’d be attached and I’m also scared if I get ducklings via mail they will arrive dead or if eggs they will be un fertilized or like I mentioned all boys. Whew! I worry & over think everything. I’d love to hear your thoughts/opinion! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom