1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I accidentally bought whole kernel corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by boxermom, Jan 25, 2011.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    instead of cracked. Can I feed it to my chickens and turkeys or do I need to do something else with it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know anything about turkeys, but chickens can have whole corn. Make sure they have some access to grit (free ranging or supplied). I have read that some folks' chickens don't LIKE the whole corn. But they can eat it fine.

3. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Thanks. DH thought they could eat it, but I thought the kernels looked too big. [​IMG]

4. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Whole corn is not too big. I've see chickens eat whole grasshoppers and earthworms whole. Those birds will eat almost anything that moves and they can catch. I've see them tear apart a small frog. Fiesty birds!!!

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    That reminds me: one day "we" accidentally brought home a huge back of popcorn kernels instead of cracked corn. Do I need to grind the popcorn kernels before I feed (since they are so hard) or can my chickens eat them as is? Or maybe I should just trade since I'm not feeding chickens much corn any more.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

well if you pop it first they would love it...

7. dlee

dlee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    My chickens love popped popcord. I also always have plenty of crushed oyster shells for them.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:I hope you are not using the oyster shell as a "grit". They are two different things. Oyster shell is too soft to be used as grit. The good thing is, if they free range, they do not need grit. BTW to the OP, mine love whole kernel corn.

9. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Just make sure you're not using oyster shell instead of grit. Oyster shell is for calcium for strong shells, not food grinding. Oyster shell is too soft for that. They need stones or pebbles. In the summer, my birds free range, so I don't worry too much about that, but in winter, they want to stay in the barn so I buy grit.

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have fed mine unpopped popping corn Turns out we can't go through 50 pounds in under a year [​IMG] Mine love it when given as an occasional treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by