i already have one aggressive 2 day old chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueheaven, May 25, 2011.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    one of my new chix is picking at all the others eyes!!!
    any advise.
    i know pecking order but she is supper aggressive and it looks like it hurts!

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    One of my chicks was very aggressive. I stuck her in with the broody hen a day before the others and she calmed down pretty quickly.

Overcrowding in the first brooder might have contributed to the problem, along with night-time heat lamp. Putting them in the chick tractor during the day has also helped.

3. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Put her in chick timeout. Put her by herself in another brooder. In a few days put her back. It cured two of mine.

For mine, one day away wasn't enough. They were away four days. They've been perfect little ladies since.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  4. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    i thought i was alone...im glad to see im not...i have a chick doing this too...thanks for the help [​IMG]

5. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    I had a thread for a similar problem - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=487727 - I seperated it for 1 day in the same brooder as its hatch mates but in its own little container. Someone also suggested it might have been due to a vitamin deficiency and that just eating the feed would help. Don't know what did it but it finally cut it out and is now a normal, but small, 5 week old chick!

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by