I am a total newby to chickens

Jan 26, 2018
Hayward Wisconsin
We are just looking into and getting ready for chickens this summer. We are in Northern Wisconsin and have a 7 1/2 acres hobby farm with 2 horses, 2 German Shepherd and 2 cats. We are hoping to get around a dozen layers. We haven't bought or built a coop yet but want some insight before we do. Do it once and correctly is my motto. These are photos of a coop that we are thinking of buying. We are planning on an 8 x 10 to be delivered this spring. What are the thoughts on this design before we purchase it?
Chicken+Coop+8x10.jpg
Chicken+Coop+interior.jpg

Attachments

• Chicken+Coop+8x10.jpg
    Chicken+Coop+8x10.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken+Coop+interior.jpg
    Chicken+Coop+interior.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 2
Wow! I'd move in there! Make sure those windows are able to be opened up or down so you can regulate airflow when you want to. You should look to put in a vinyl floor over that particle board in the floor to make for easy clean out and to spare the wood of rot etc... It looks like you can add insulation to roofing panels when the cold season is upon you. Enjoy the chicken adventure! Watch those dogs around the girls..... my puppy is just now adjusting and the girls too. Everybody needs to be safe. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Wow, thats a nice coop! You might also do some reading in our Learning Center for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping chickens... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

If you have any questions along the way, be sure and ask us. Welcome to our roost! :)

You will definitely want to pay attention to your ventilation. At your temps, frost bite is quite possible. You do not want to close them up tight and will need to air moving out the eaves to remove all the moisture the birds will produce from pooping and breathing. They make a ton of moisture. Somewhere around 1/2 to 1 sq foot of vent space per bird in the eaves.

Wow! I'd move in there! Make sure those windows are able to be opened up or down so you can regulate airflow when you want to. You should look to put in a vinyl floor over that particle board in the floor to make for easy clean out and to spare the wood of rot etc... It looks like you can add insulation to roofing panels when the cold season is upon you. Enjoy the chicken adventure! Watch those dogs around the girls..... my puppy is just now adjusting and the girls too. Everybody needs to be safe. :)
You will definitely want to pay attention to your ventilation. At your temps, frost bite is quite possible. You do not want to close them up tight and will need to air moving out the eaves to remove all the moisture the birds will produce from pooping and breathing. They make a ton of moisture. Somewhere around 1/2 to 1 sq foot of vent space per bird in the eaves.
We have been looking into that also. We are going to ask about putting in air vent in the upper corners on the roof line, if not we will do it. My husband is thinking of Rhode Island reds for our layers.

Elevated coops lose heat much quicker than ground coops. However yes, the birds can get under and out of the elements with raised. Varmints are less likely to get into a raised coop. I started with a raised coop and the birds refused to use it other than laying and sleeping even though they wanted too. LOL And they won't go up the ramp to eat or drink. I much prefer ground coops but its your chioce. :)

Elevated coops lose heat much quicker than ground coops. However yes, the birds can get under and out of the elements with raised. Varmints are less likely to get into a raised coop. I started with a raised coop and the birds refused to use it other than laying and sleeping even though they wanted too. LOL And they won't go up the ramp to eat or drink. I much prefer ground coops but its your chioce. :)
Thank you. I would prefer it to be on the ground also. I am the one to take care of all the critters.

Back
Top Bottom