I am an idiot and sold my only lavender bearded silkie pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Apr 28, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I felt bad and promised one to a customer and turns out all are roos but the one I was keeping for myself. I never go back on my word so I sold her today [​IMG]

Now I have 2-3 lavender roos left. Can I make more with just them and another color I was going to breed the 2 together but now I cant.

I am going to search right now but what would be best to pen them in with to get some more lavenders?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    that is a bummer- I took 3 lavenders from a gal I think they are all roos too:) they are so cute though and Im keeping them-8-10 weeks old-how old was yours? How did you tell they were boys or girls-?

3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Black. When bred to black all the offspring will be split to Lav. Then you breed those offspring back to the lavender parent and you will get some lavender babies.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep black thats what the searches I found said. is that really the only color? what would happen if mixed with a splash? ugg I cant believe I sold her I dont have any really nice black ones to breed to, although I might have some hatch next week. why not white, I know therr are good reasons but I dont really understand them

oh all the boys were starting to get wattles and their combs were much bigger and wider

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    You could also breed to blue or splash then breed those back to a lavender rooster and get more.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You would get blue split to lav; however a bird who is both blue and lavender looks more like a blue than like a lavender.

If you breed to buff you will get buff split to lav. Breed back to lavender and you will get half isabel porcelain (buff plus lav lav) and half buff split to lav.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Quote:Isabel porcelain would be pretty

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you breed to white then you have no idea what hidden genes will show up--usually pretty, but a genetic and variety mess.

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ohhh I have some buffs in the bator now, oh that would be good [​IMG]

ok back to tilling the garden lol

10. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Do you think the person you sold her to might give you some hatching eggs? Do they have a lav roo? You could give them one of yours/ or lend??? and then get some eggs in return? I dunno, that would just really bum me out...you are a very nice person to still hold that bargain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by