I am chickening out! expecting 1st shipment of day old chicks.

I completely understand the "cold feet" feeling. I started with 6 chickens, 3 hens and 3 roos that were free.

I now have 14 laying "pullets"
3 roosters
2 bantam roos
5 bantam hens
13 barnyard mix chicks
3 French Black Copper Marans chicks
1 silkie chick
1 silkie due to hatch in the next couple days
and 4 more silkies due to hatch in 19 days.

I also have 6 pigeons
a Mutant Melanistic Pheasant.
and A ringneck mix hen pheasant

Be careful with "chicken math" you will find out that you CAN go beyond your means very quickly if you adopt or buy more than you can keep, I have about hit my limit, I have plenty of space and the money to feed them but I really dont need 2+ dozen eggs a day. I have begun selling eggs to friends and family and it pays for the food mostly so thats a plus.

I am just starting to incubate, my first "hatch" was 40 eggs placed and 33 hatched lol

If you get into "trouble" then you can always post your extras on Craigslist farm and garden section or right here on BYC

Chicks are rugged unless from weak stock. DON'T WORRY

When raising my own I take care of them first each day.
When bringing in from elsewhere, take care of your originals first and wash up after handling the new ones.

I know you've read everything but I'd like to reiterate what you've probably already heard.
Before they arrive have the brooder warm. If you're brooding on bedding, cover it the first few days till the chicks know what food is cause they eat whatever is at their feet. Use something with traction like paper towels or burlap.
When they arrive, stay calm. They've been in transit a couple days another 15 minutes without food or water won't kill them.
Have their water room temp and ever so slightly sweet with honey, sugar or agave nectar. This will bring them back for more and give a little energy. Take each chick and dip their beak in the water and make sure they drink before you go to the next. Besides a feeder I sprinkle some feed and crumbled hard boiled egg yolk on the paper towels.
Avoid too much heat. Let their actions dictate heat. If they crowd make it warmer. I prefer a warm spot and lots of cool space for them to escape the heat.
Once the first day is past it's easy. Just check for pasty butt the first week or so.

Thankyou. I will be reading and rereading your posts over the next week. I have ordered the echoglow,gone to the post office to let them know I'm "expecting", and readied the brooder. They will be sending 8 boys along with my 12 girls to keep them warm enroute. I'm not sure what I am going to do with 8 roos but I will cross that bridge when I must cross it.

Back
Top Bottom