I am ditching the heat plate

I find the lamp is easier to use, allows chicks more freedom to find the right warm spot for them without crowding, it’s easier to adjust, and I like being able to monitor them, not having them hidden under the plate all the time.

:old I have been successfully using red heat lamps for almost 40 years. Maybe I'm too old to change. All these posts about how great these "new" heat plates makes me feel like a dinosaur. However, I don't trust something I can't see, and with the red heat lamps, I can see how my chicks are doing all the time. Thanks for your post. I don't feel so out of time.

It [heating plate] didn't put out near enough heat for a room that was around 60 degrees.

Yes, location matters. Where I live, it gets down to 32F at night outside, still here in mid-May. In my unheated garage, where I have my brooder, the temp gets down to about 45F at night. I actually have 2 heat lamps for my chicks, in case one fails, they still can run under the other heat lamp to stay warm. I have had one heat lamp fail, but never 2 at the same time. From what I have read, those heater plates would not work if the ambient temperature is low, like maybe 45F where I have my brooder.

If you use a heat lamp, I strongly urge you to remove that clamp so you are not even tempted to use it. Instead secure it with wire or chain. Don't use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use chain or wire to really secure it. That eliminates the vast majority of the risk from fire.

Yes, yes, and yes. I always tell people they should have 2 means of securing a heat lamp. In case one fails, the other should be able to take over and keep the heat lamp out of the bedding - causing a potential fire. I suspend my heat lamps by a chain and use a carabiner to adjust the height. Simple, cheap, and effective.

I never trust the clamps that come with some heat lamps.

It is good there are so many heat source options so more people can find one that works for them.

I agree. What works for me is not the best solution for everybody else. Location maters and your brooder setup may determine what will work best for heat.

They did just fine both ways, but I prefer the plate. No fire danger, and no $40 extra on my electric bill.

Makes a difference where you live and what time of the year you get your brooder chicks. I start off with 250 watts heat lamps and change them over to 125 watts lamps as soon as I can. Saves money. But I'm paranoid about a heat lamp failing during the night so I always run 2 heat lamps. For a slight bump in my electric bill, at least I sleep better at night.

Last edited:
I’m glad there’s lots of options. I have 10, 10 day old chicks in my attached garage. I don’t worry about a fire because the plate isn’t a hazard. There hasn’t been any pasty butt, and at 10 days these guys have already started feathering out nicely. The garage has ranged between 60-80 degrees, and the chicks will hang out under, on top, & next to the plate. I like the fact that at 8:00 they are all asleep undet thr plate and sleep until it is light, no crying, no panic. I now own 3 heat plates I liked them so much last year.

I think each person has to find out what they like best due to their setup, weather, climate and time of year they get their chicks. I only raise chicks in the spring, summer & early fall, so cold trmp extremes are not an issue for me. Good luck to everyone!

So weird, my experience has been the exact opposite. No pasty butt, no noisy chicks, and mine just go in and out from under it when they need heat. Our temps were in the lower 50s at night and never had any issues with ours at all. I was very hesitant to try using it because I've always been a die-hard heat lamp person but was very impressed with it. Going since 5/20 hatch date and the babies are doing great. I can see how cleaning under the plate could be an issue but it's pretty easy to pick it up and clean under.

Edited to include: Mine have never had any issue at night with lights being off. They only have natural daylight at day and natural darkness at night. Whenever I go out to look at them on the deck at night, they're all sleeping under the plate or near it, depending on how they feel heat-wise, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom