I am feeling so creative right now!!!! Look what I did!!

WillsMama93

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Shreveport, La
OK, I didn't post this on the brooder thread, cause my chickens are kind of past the brooder stage (they are 10 weeks, 8 weeks and 6 weeks, all bantam breeds) but we have had to delay building our coop for a few weeks due to $$, but the chickens were getting kind of cramped in their brooder condo that I had fashioned. I also had the problem of needing to introduce the two 6 week old chicks to the older chicks before getting them all out into the coop. What to do? What to do? Then, I came up with what I think (quite modestly I might add) is a genius solution!

I bought 2 of those white wire cube shelving unit kits from the home department at Target (they look like shelves made from stacked milk crates, if you have never seen one), and 20 peel and stick linoleum tiles from Home Depot, along with a roll of 2" wide super tacky masking tape. Throwing the assembly instructions in the trash, I used the conectors that were provided with the kit to make a 2 panel by 6 panel "floor" for our new chicken apartment. I then lined this floor with the linoleum tiles, leaving the backing on so that we can use them later in the floor of our coop. I had to do some cutting around the connectors, and I "sealed" the tiles into a solid floor with the masking tape. Then I built up a wall 1 panel high all around, with a 1 panel high divider, making part of the "apartment" 2x2 and the other section 1x2. I then lined the inside of my outer walls with linoleum tiles, to keep the chickens from kicking out the pine shavings. I sealed this with masking tape also. Then, another alyer of panels were added, making the total height of the wall 2 panels high, and the divider wall 2 panels high also. Now, my older 5 chicks have a 2x2 area to roam in, complete with PVC roosts, and my 2 6 week old chicks have a compartment of their own, where they can be seen, but not picked on.
When the chicks are moved out into the coop, we will take the whole thing apart, and store it until next year when we have more chicks. Then we can start with a smaler set up, and expand gradually as needed.
Here is a pic.. it's not too good, I will try to get a better one tonight. You can see my babies all stuffing their faces into the feeder!!

05-30-08_0020.jpg

gig.gif
I built my brooder out of those, and also then used them to put a cage around my broody hen in her nest box...

I think I posted a pic on the BROODER sticky.... those things are SO handy!

Here is my broody's cage - I took it down the other day - I connected those square things with zip ties....

IMG_2592.jpg

The brooder box, you can see it in the back ground, this was when the chicks had outgrown it.
I lined the bottom and up the sides with cardboard to keep the shavings and such in.

IMG_2007.jpg

(LOL - one of those babies in the brooder pic, is the mommy hen sitting in the nest in the first pic....)

Last edited:
Quote:
What a beautiful flock you have WildSky!! I will keep the broody trick in mind, in case I ever have one go broody. I was hopeing my cochin would be a pullet cause I hear they make good broody mamas.. but, alas, my Coconut is a Roo. But I lurve him anyway!!

Quote:
What a beautiful flock you have WildSky!! I will keep the broody trick in mind, in case I ever have one go broody. I was hopeing my cochin would be a pullet cause I hear they make good broody mamas.. but, alas, my Coconut is a Roo. But I lurve him anyway!!

One broody is enough for me
gig.gif
but thankfully it all went well - I made her a big enough space that she could get out, eat, drink, poop and roll around if she wanted to. I kept her in there with the chicks for a week and then took it all down..... now everyone is living in harmony again! It was a long month of extra feeding and watering....

WillsMama - that is a great idea and I hope you don't mind if I borrow it? I'm constantly needing cages for different age chicks and have to keep rotating the Chick-N-Hutch, dog kennel, and rabbit cage inside coop. Someone is always getting moved or evicted sooner than I'd like because I don't have enough space, and someone new just hatched, but now I see what a marvelous idea you had. Also some of my hutches are too big to move out of coop and I like putting the babies outside in sunshine so it has been a pain to move the rabbit hutch, only one I can carry, every day outside and then move the chicks and I have to turn the thing on it's sides to fit through door. Anyway HUGE pain but now I can go get some of those and make all sizes for inside and outside the coop.

Yippie - thanks a million for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom