1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am getting my game plan into action . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whispering Winds, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

If I order my chicks in Feb., for March delivery, how long will I have them in the house before I can put them out in the coop?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

4 to 6 weeks with a heat lamp. When they are fully feathered out they can go outdoors. I keep mine in the garage...warm enough for them and doesn't get the house all dusty [​IMG] Put them in an area where you won't mine an inch worth of dust everywhere!

3. yup , i was just gonna say 6-8 weeks til they are fully feathered.
    LOL , yea sure can create a pile of dust thats 4 sure

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you have electricity in the coop and can stabilize the temperature there, you can raise them in the coop. I put my brooder in the coop, put a draft guard around it, and raised them out there. As far as how long they need heat, when the night-time lows are the same as dropping the temperature 5 degrees a week, you are perfectly safe. I'd expect Illinois could have some pretty cold nights in April.

Fully feathered can vary some by breed and how fast they develop, depends some on nutrition, stress, whatever. I considered mine fully feathered at 4 weeks, but I am further south and I was later in the year. I also had 28 so they could huddle and keep each other warm.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    My chicks are raised outside in their own playpen-mine don't brood [​IMG] As long as you can keep the drafts off them and a heat lamp for warmth they are just fine...just check the temps and make sure the area is big enough for them to be under or out of the heat as they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by