I am getting rescue hens!!!!!!

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
yippiechickie.gif
OH YEAH!!!! So, I have decided no babies!!! In my diligent search for local babies I found a man who will be getting rid of his Tyson laying hens in a month or so. Said if I just wait for chickens until then I could have.....free.....as many as I want. I wish I could take them all.
hit.gif
However, I will definitely sleep easier knowing my girls come from a bad life to a great one and will now be loved and pampered. Gonna do some serious reading on how to get them adjusted and be 100% prepared when they get here. Just a quick "first" question, how long will I need to quarantine them before introducing them to my current sweeties? I know I will need to clean them up, dust them for mites, and so much else. It will be so worth it to help a chickie in need. Oh, and the best part, he said his chickens are not de-beaked!!!!

* There was a thread just posted bout 2 days ago on quarantining newcomers. . . I don't know how to post links to anything. The title was "quarentine" though, so hope you can find it.
smile.png

What your doing is so awesome. Its great you will be taking in those girls. If you do a search for quarentine you may find what yourr looking for. I know that you should keep them seperated from you established flock for at least 3 weeks. Do you have other chickens?

Last edited:
Yes, I feel like it is certainly the right thing to do. I still have tha that "I want to feel tiny babies" thing going on, but in the end I know it will be worth it. Besides, I think I enjoy holding my big chickens more than I did when they were little.....so sweet and substantial.
smile.png

Thanks......I will read it (may have already) really wondering if these guys are MORE of a danger to my other chickens than healthy free range type or hatchery chickens. I know they are SUPPOSED to be there for food so we might think they have less, I am inclined to think they would be far more succeptible to disease and such?

Yeah, I have 7 hens and a rooster and I certainly don't want my little darlings to get sick. A month sounds good....I would rather err on the side of caution.

OMG!!!!
jumpy.gif
I am SOOOO excited for you!!!! Maybe I could take some too or other Arkies. Not sure how far away you are from me but I'd be willing to drive. I have rescued broilers
big_smile.png

You are doing an amazing thing, luvmychicknkids!
D.gif

There is a yahoo group for owners of ex-battery hens. I am on it (even though I don't have ex-batts) http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ex-battery-hens/

Oh, hooligan, that would be wonderful!!! I was really wishing there was a way to help more of them. I live in Western Grove which is just South of Harrison. Not really sure where he is located, but he has a feed store here so I assume it is around here somewhere. Right now I just have his # and instructions to call back in a few weeks to make sure of when he is changing them out. I think every day it makes me even more sad, knowing I have to wait to get them. Anyway, stay in touch with me and I will let you know when it is time and see if you are able to get some.

Back
Top Bottom