I am hatching TODAY duck, turkey and chicken eggs TOGETHER

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
Quick question... I have not done this before but, so far so good... Duck eggs have pipped and turkey eggs are rocking just fine. A couple chicken eggs are rocking too (not as much though).

I think duck and turkeys will be hatching as much as 24 hours appart the chicken eggs. It's better for me to move them to the brooder ASAP right? I think them being bigger and stronger may roll and bump chicken eggs too much and affect hatching...

What do you think?
caf.gif

I have hatch all three together ... After hatching I kept all three separate ...chicken with chickens and ducks with ducks.... Just practical way to do it. Ducks can destroy a nice clean aquarium by splashing water everywhere within moments after cleaning...they are messy. My baby ducks took their first swim in my bathroom sink less the 48 hours old. Plus, Chicks do not like getting wet. Now, turkeys may need to be with a brand newly chick ...this helps them learn how to eat or peck for food. They need to be taught...how to eat and drink. If the chicks are older and picking on the baby turkey.... Place them with a newby or less aggressive chick. I find silkie chicks are gentle and passionate little helpers when raising turkeys. Oh, I use deep large aquariums for newly hatched chick, ducks, and turkeys.... Easy to sanitize, monitor heat, and great for ducks when they splash their drink water and food all over the place. Good luck!

I meant to answer your question ... If you have a incubator that has egg turner... Some suggest three days before hatching date to stop egg turner and remove it lay eggs onto the metal mesh floor in their unsupported position. ( I lay them next to one another with pointed egg side down). if they move its ok. The chicks will position themselves for hatching. Place a thermometer on top of eggs for monitoring temp.99.5-100f
If have any red ventilator caps on top of incubator remove them if your incubator has a blower.... This will dry your chicks. I would not worry about the ducks or turkeys interfering with chickens hatching. Just keep a close watch on the hatching. As soon as the ducks or turkeys hatch move them out. Have fun. Get sleep now... U will need it later. Oh! Full moon Thursday ... You may be busy :)

I have hatch all three together ... After hatching I kept all three separate ...chicken with chickens and ducks with ducks.... Just practical way to do it. Ducks can destroy a nice clean aquarium by splashing water everywhere within moments after cleaning...they are messy. My baby ducks took their first swim in my bathroom sink less the 48 hours old. Plus, Chicks do not like getting wet. Now, turkeys may need to be with a brand newly chick ...this helps them learn how to eat or peck for food. They need to be taught...how to eat and drink. If the chicks are older and picking on the baby turkey.... Place them with a newby or less aggressive chick. I find silkie chicks are gentle and passionate little helpers when raising turkeys. Oh, I use deep large aquariums for newly hatched chick, ducks, and turkeys.... Easy to sanitize, monitor heat, and great for ducks when they splash their drink water and food all over the place. Good luck!
Love your aquarium idea!!!! I will incorporate it asap... They all hatched in the same brooder and I plan to separate them. I will follow your advice and keep a couple chicks with the four turkeys... A question... There are 8 chicks and 4 turkeys... can I have them share the brooder until poults learn to eat or just a couple chicks w/ the poults?

I meant to answer your question ... If you have a incubator that has egg turner... Some suggest three days before hatching date to stop egg turner and remove it lay eggs onto the metal mesh floor in their unsupported position. ( I lay them next to one another with pointed egg side down). if they move its ok. The chicks will position themselves for hatching. Place a thermometer on top of eggs for monitoring temp.99.5-100f
If have any red ventilator caps on top of incubator remove them if your incubator has a blower.... This will dry your chicks. I would not worry about the ducks or turkeys interfering with chickens hatching. Just keep a close watch on the hatching. As soon as the ducks or turkeys hatch move them out. Have fun. Get sleep now... U will need it later. Oh! Full moon Thursday ... You may be busy
smile.png
Thanks so much!!! Only two chicken eggs have not fully hatched, but they are almost there... I had to intervene with the ducklings after 50 hours... they stuck to the membrane and could not roll so they dis not zip. Since there was no blood vessels at all and they were still strong I helped a little (well a lot) and they finished the pushing to get out. Humidity was at 80% but they were the first ones to pip and were making no progress at all.

I will send you a nice pic when I open the bator to move them. I really don't want to ruin the hatching for the remaining two so I think I will wait another hour before moving them to the brooder. Thanks!!!

Love your aquarium idea!!!! I will incorporate it asap... They all hatched in the same brooder and I plan to separate them. I will follow your advice and keep a couple chicks with the four turkeys... A question... There are 8 chicks and 4 turkeys... can I have them share the brooder until poults learn to eat or just a couple chicks w/ the poults?
Sharing the brooder is fine... If chicks become aggressive or vise versa ... Separate them. Turkeys are slow learners ....they are not too aggressive until their older. Always go on your motherly instinct .... We can read and get advice from others.... But the gut feelings are usually best guide. I regret not intervening with a duck hatch... Always heard to never assist in hatching eggs (nonsense). I lost a precious duck cause of the membrane drying over his nose passage while stayed trapped. Sounds like you did the correct thing by assisting your duck egg after 50 hours. You are on top of it and by going on your motherly instinct to do the correct thing. I am happy and proud for u...can't wait to see your babies :)

Sharing the brooder is fine... If chicks become aggressive or vise versa ... Separate them. Turkeys are slow learners ....they are not too aggressive until their older. Always go on your motherly instinct .... We can read and get advice from others.... But the gut feelings are usually best guide. I regret not intervening with a duck hatch... Always heard to never assist in hatching eggs (nonsense). I lost a precious duck cause of the membrane drying over his nose passage while stayed trapped. Sounds like you did the correct thing by assisting your duck egg after 50 hours. You are on top of it and by going on your motherly instinct to do the correct thing. I am happy and proud for u...can't wait to see your babies
smile.png
Thanks... you are so sweet
love.gif
... here are the pics.

ALL IN THE BATOR ...

CHICKS AND POULTS

SLEEPING DUCKLINGS

Oh, another question. Do you feed poults medicated food? I heard ducklings can't eat it, but don't know about poults. That'd be the only reason for adding a 3rd brooder at this point...
hu.gif

I never would give chick starter to ducks. Give your ducks a wild game feed high protein ...no medication is needed. If I mix turkeys and chicks together ...I give duMor chick starter 24% (tractor supply) ....it will cover your turkeys and chicks as for feeding a broad range of needs....no guessing or worrying if it will hurt them. This way u can raise them together for at least 6-8 weeks . I hope this helps? :) remember ducks like lots of water to drink and play in.... If u get aquarium ....use newspaper ...the nice pine shaving becomes soggy and stinky. U will need lots of newspaper for 2-3 weeks until they are ready to be moved outside or backyard :) good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom