I am in need of a hug

pooh731

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Hanford, ca
hit.gif
Last night one of my dogs killed my EE roo 'mellow'. He died protecting his 3 girls, my dog hurt my RIR named 'Red bird' she is now afraid to move and when she does she limps. I have been keeping a close eye on red. 'Mellow' would have been 5 months old on the 13th of this month, my 'red bird' turned 4 month old today. R.I.P. 'Mellow' you were a pretty boy

I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

It is just a dogs natural instinct. My border collie used to try and bite the chickens (but luckily never ate one). I started to leash my dog and sit by the chickens with her. Everytime she would lay down, sit or look away from the chickens I would give her a treat. If she tried to bark or nip at them I would say "Ah Ah" in a short sharp voice.

As you can see from this picture she is now very good with the chickens.
smile.png

84433_102_2602.jpg

Zoey (my border collie) is very good with the chickens however, if a wild bird comes in the yard she will go after it.

I wish you luck with your dog and I highly recommend trying to train him. It is fun to train your dog and is also very rewarding. Good luck.
wink.png

Sorry for your loss. I find myself falling right in love with our chickens! this is our fist time raising them

love.gif
thumbsup.gif
Thank you all so much, talk about this with everyone on this site helps. Everyone here is so understanding I feel like everyone here is a part of my family. Thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom