I am making my own chicken coop - Help

Ann1986

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
My parents and my brother are all away on holiday and I decided it would be a good time to build a new chicken coop:p

So... I already put up the entire frame:

The bottom and top are in waterproof multiplex
The poles are also impregnated wood
The bars are just wood that I added something on it to make it waterproof and it needs some extra layers.

BUT. I started on this project with good hope, but then when I was working on it for hours and hours I saw that it was harder then I thought. This is the first thing I ever made, and I am not used to working with electrical saws and stuff.
So I already made some mistakes :S
See:

Do you guys think I should go on? Does anyone have any tips for me?
What material could I best use for the walls? I would like to use plats so there are no cracks or anything.

Oh and there will be 2 doors (1 for cleaning) and 1 windows

I think it looks good. How many chickens do you have. What kind are they. I built a coop like that and used plywood for the sides and sturdier wood and shingles for the roof. I would send you a pic but it doesn't work on my computer.

I think it looks good. How many chickens do you have. What kind are they. I built a coop like that and used plywood for the sides and sturdier wood and shingles for the roof. I would send you a pic but it doesn't work on my computer.
Hey!

I now have 1 hybrid and 2 little Wyandottes:) (sorry cant think of the english word, I am dutch, but they are the small kind and not the normal big ones). I know the house is big but I wanted it that way, because who knows we may have some more chickens. Usually we have 4 but 1 died recently.

I think I might go for plates for the sides.

Oh and I already used something to cover up the little cracks and re-did the roof thing to make it fit better. So my hope is a little bit restored now :p

Sorry about your lost chicken. I keep my chick laying hens it that coop. I built a small run around it. During mating season I put my hen and roster in there and then when my hen lays her eggs I will take the rooster out and let the hen rais her chicks. It is amazing when she takes them outside when they hatch.

...... but then when I was working on it for hours and hours I saw that it was harder then I thought. This is the first thing I ever made, and I am not used to working with electrical saws and stuff.
So I already made some mistakes :S.....
Mistakes are the best way to learn.....don't give up, keep going. It's not fine furniture, it just needs to be functional.
Using screws will allow you to fix mistakes more easily cause you can take things apart. Sometimes you have to back up and fix something, other times you can let it go.

Be careful with the power tools if there's no one home to take you to the ER ;-)

Mistakes are the best way to learn.....don't give up, keep going. It's not fine furniture, it just needs to be functional.
Using screws will allow you to fix mistakes more easily cause you can take things apart. Sometimes you have to back up and fix something, other times you can let it go.

Be careful with the power tools if there's no one home to take you to the ER ;-)
LOL, yeah thats a good tip;)

So far only some bruises and minor cuts.

Thx guys :)

Last edited:
Update:)

Its not perfect but Im proud of my very first creation :p

Im putting shingels on the roof and will hang them over on the sides to make sure no water can get in the house.

For Future Reference. Have the roof boards themselves overhang the walls ;-)

I like the little cutout, nice abstract design!

You're family will be so surprised, I can't wait o hear what they think!
Do you already have chickens?

Back
Top Bottom