I am not sure what laws apply to me? Help! (washington county, oregon)

ethicaleggsplease

Hatching
10 Years
May 31, 2009
I really would like to raise chickens in my backyard, but when I tried finding some information on the laws on the washington county website, nothing came up. I live north of beaverton, where I hear chickens are not allowed. Where I live is the bethany area (an unincorporated community), some girls who live down the street have them. I'm not sure if its legal or what. Please help me!

I'm with you!
big_smile.png

We are also in unincorporated Washington County, and have been struggling to find the ordinances that apply. I've found specifics for all the neighboring incorporated cities.
tongue.png

I placed some phone calls yesterday, having to leave a message with one office. I will post what I learn, if I learn anything.

Otherwise, I will echo your plea:

Help?!

The internet isn't turning up any information - where else do I look for who to contact to get this kind of info?

If you are in an unincorporated are, then you need to check county codes. I would expect that the county has no ordinances on chickens as typically areas outside incorporated areas are considered rural, aka farm land.

you can own chickens in Washington County. Call the city and they'll tell you how many you can have and where the coop needs to be located etc...

We don't live in the city.

We live just outside of the city boundaries for Tigard.
So, do I call the city of Tigard?
I would think they would only provide me with the city restrictions.

I've been starting to phone county offices and getting referrals to other county offices in the quest for a definitive answer.

Animal Services sent me to 'Code Enforcement' which was a recording to file complaints against those violating codes. (Left a message anyway and have had no return call yet.)

Per a friend's suggestion, phoned 211 - Washington County Resource info. They referred me to either Dept. of Land Use or the Wash. Co. Switchboard. I'm going to try the latter first. Will keep you posted.
smile.png

Okay - the latest info I have:

According to the 'Current Land Planning' division, we CAN have chickens in unincorporated areas of Washington County. The only restrictions they have are if you build a coop. When I asked where I could read those restrictions - either online or have them faxed to me, I was transferred to another extension.

I reached a voice mail for somebody in the 'Land Development Division', where I stated my request for info and my name & number.

If I don't receive a call back tomorrow, I'll try the other phone numbers/departments suggested.
tongue.png

Without checking any of the regs., I am going to suggest that what is needed is probably a building permit, which would be required for any permanent structure if larger than a specified size. The concerns are generally safety issues--that it meet national or internationally recognized electrical, plumbing and structural code. On top of that they may (or may not) add zoning specific requirements.

Back
Top Bottom