I am really angry and upset.am I over reacting? **UPDATE POST 30**

Encryption USUALLY means that while the information is being transferred, no one can possibly, no matter what, read it. So the data is protected while it is 'in flight' from the school computer to their computer.

Generally, these days, most data is encrypted while 'in flight'. Sometimes even after 'flight'.

Sometimes the information is also impossible to read while the employees are handling it. If this is the case, they can't actually read it, and won't be allowed to see name, address. They just type some stuff on a form and hit 'send' or whatever. They don't know who it's for. Most places I have worked, personal information was either masked, 'scrubbed' (anything that would identify a person is changed) or stayed encrypted. They weren't taking any chances with it.

That said, I had to give SS# and birth date to get my fishing license, and I was having a seizure thinking 'what can they do with THAT information?' answer: get a credit card in my name.

Last edited:
Quote:
in this day and age of hackers and internet theft and security issues... I never assume... they guy did not know what a criminal background check was
roll.png
I think the title is self explanatory

Oh I would be tap dancing across some foreheads. Go get 'em Dar

As a minor he cannot enter a legally binding contract, own any property or give legal consent for anything.

Last edited:
If the company really said 32-bit encryption then they are still in the '80s. The standard now is 128-bit. That's 16000+ permutations vs 1024. I wouldn't trust my dog's info to such a low level system.

As far as the school goes.....wow! I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits, but this is one I would seriously consider. One person using your son's info to get a fraudulent mortgage could cause YEARS of trouble. Ask me how I know....no please don't. Just trust me.
big_smile.png

the person who you talk to probably has no idea what type of encryption they actually use or how it works. Probably just reading off some old company brochure.

I'm not sure it really represents any danger to you or your child, either.

Quote:
Are you serious? The school is responsible for every child (child is key word here also known as a minor) while at school, no matter what they are doing.

Yup..giving out a minors info without parental consent IS a biiig deal...
That school could be in big doo-doo.

Back
Top Bottom