I am really hating coons...

Rowtag

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
So we just treed our second coon in as many weeks... my collie deserves a really big bone! The first one was easily dispatched with the bow and a hunting arrow. This one climbed to the very top of the tree, well out of range for a good shot. We live in a neighborhood and shooting the gun we have would be very illegal and dangerous, so the bow is about our best bet. We may have grazed him, not sure because he moved pretty quick when the arrow we shot at him went by (and it went pretty close). He is stuck in a spot light right now, and I am going to keep checking to make sure he doesn't go anywhere till morning, when we can see to get a better shot. The brand new (as of today) duck is in a cat carrier in the house, and the chickens are in my old ferret cage in a locked tight shed for the night. I am purchasing a new live trap first thing tomorrow. If it were daylight we would climb up the tree and cut him down but it is to dark to attempt at the moment. I am skinning the stupid thing if I catch him...

I am really sick of this, my pen is made of welded wire dog kennel panels on two sides, a shed on one, and chain link on the other. It is covered with deer netting. The coon cannot get in on the sides... it is climbing a tree on the far side of the shed that the run is attached too and coming down one of my shade trees in the run... We are for sure trimming some limbs tomorrow in the daylight.

I hear you.

I lost 3 to the raccoons just a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck on getting them. You sound like you have a plan. Can't wait to hear the results.

I hate coons too!! We killed two of them tonight that were hanging out around the chicken coop.

For my 4 year old daughters b-day, her grandma gave her a card with a "cute" little baby raccoon on the front. After we got home I told the hubby that I didnt like the card simply becase there was a raccoon on it!!!

I HATE THEM TOO!!!!

We have had a rash of coons lately and our traps are doing a good job. They are dispatched after found guilty with the trusty 12 gauge.
You mentioned bow, have you tried a crossbow? Have a compound my self and am a pretty good shot but after I got my compound, just seems easier...

Luck with the coon hunting!

Yeah, I will tell ya if we get him, the one we killed last week was nursing babies. On the one hand it is sad that they would have starved to death, on the other I am glad those babies won't grow to eat my pets... they get in our koi pond too, my fish are more expensive to replace than the birds!

Xbow would be great, but so far our system is working. If we trap them we can get them far enough from the neighborhood on our own property to dispatch them with a weapon of choice, just not in the tree it has chosen to stay in.

Last edited:
I hate coon too.
I few weeks ago I hit one with a 2 by 4 and he been gone for weeks. Then the other night he got one right on our door step.

Edited due to illegal content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for the time being he got away, however, as soon as the feed store is open I am buying a live trap and seeing if I can rent/borrow another from somewhere. We have a creek and I want to put one down there as well as up by the chicken pen. Hopefully tonight I will have one less headache...

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom