I am seeking Revenge

Yea, killing hawks is illegal. So just tell us you're killing the brown crow.
I am so sorry.
You can get cotton knotted netting that's really strong and cover their yard. 10,000 sq ft is about 100'x 100'? A lot of room but they make the netting for large areas like that. It'd probably be a few hundred dollars but it sounds like your priorities are in the right place and you wouldn't have a problem putting the money where your birds are (so to speak).

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have a chicken who I view the same way you viewed Uma. I would be devestated if I lost Scarlett, especially to a predator. I can only imagine how you must feel.
hugs.gif

I've also heard that making a criss-cross pattern with brightly colored bailers twine works to deter predators. You can run it diagonally one way, then the other, with each length about 2-3 feet apart from each other. It doesn't have to be covered more than that because hawks/owls won't dive because they won't want to risk getting tangled in the twine. Sure hope that helps.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

RIP Uma

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss. But killing the hawk won't solve the problem. There will be other hawks and crows and birds of pray. This might be more work but if you run fishing line over the top of where they range and then add in some old CD's, that will GREATLY deter hawks. They have really good eyesight and will be able to see the line from way up high and won't risk getting caught in it or getting under it and not being able to get out.

This will let your girls free range with a great deal more safety.

Trust me, there will always be another hawk. You won't be able to kill them all.

hugs.gif
for your loss. My heart really goes out to you.

I feel your pain! I had 11 brand new babies that I hand raised fresh from the egg... We built a huge run with coop and all... We were one day away from finishing the construction and had all but the elecrtic fence hooked up... I mean this was Fort Knox! We felt extremely confident that our girls would be safe in there. The next morning we woke up to complete carnage! 5 of our girls were ripped to peices(pulled them threw the fencing because they never went into the coop)! The culprit- RACCOON! After cleaning up and trying to figure this all out, we looked up in a tree and there he sat in broad daylight looking down in the pen(top of the run is covered and secured). I sent the BF in the house for the .22 rifle and was determined to get my revenge and we got it! It did not bring my chickens back but I knew that he wouldnt be killing anymore of them! Now the electric fence is up and running and not even a bear can get past it! Totally sucks to have it happen and I send my deepest sympathies to you!

My stomach still twists everytime I think of poor Uma...... My very first Silkies I let free range but came home oneday to a hawk that killed 3 of them. I must have just caught him as he sat in a tree looking at me and I found their poor lifeless bodies scattered around the pasture. Perhaps you could make them a large run so they would still be safe.... it's only time another bird, wild cat or something threatens them again.
sad.png

RIP Uma
sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss, with free ranging it's a risk you just have to take, it sucks when you lose your favorite though.
If I were you I wouldn't kill the hawk, I know it can seem to be the only thing you can do, but keep it as a last, last, last resort. Another will just take it's place and it's illegal. Just do your best to hawk proof the place. Again, so sorry
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom