I AM SICK OF MY NEIGHBORS DOGS

well i have (had)
wink.png
a dog that attacked my roo,clyed 4 times and....... well ya they didn't care called everyone nothing and isn't that wierd are roo's are named the same thing ? and he has attacked clyeds girl bonnie, adn clyed saved her and then HE got attacked

i surely hope Clyde continues to improve. letting him stay with his girls will probably be a lot less stressful on him, he's been through a lot today. Fence, hot sauce sounds good. Taking to pound super good idea. Dogs are smart and they know when you are not home, so they will just come over and attack when you are not there to squirt them. People always try to tell me how nice their dogs are etc, but they don't know what their dogs are doing when they are not looking. I've seen it over and over, dogs act one way when owners are gone and then are their precious little pets never doing anything wrong when they are their. They also have a very good sense of time. My neighbors dogs terrorized the neighborhood while the owners were gone and then 10 minutes prior to their arrival, run and lay down like they've been there all day waiting. They never got out of their fence yard but the barking and chasing along the fence line was horrid. Once when I had my horse tied in my yard and I went in the house to get my shoes and the dogs ran over, barked at my horse and he ran so fast it snapped the snap on the lead rope and it welted his legs. There is a driveway between our yards. Also, whenever I was outside they would bark at me, and then look back towards their house to see if they were getting in trouble or not. It got so bad I could not even open my curtains cuz they would bark at me inside my house. I finally had to build a front porch with a tall fence just so I could go outside. It was awful. That dog died a couple years ago.

How is your birdie? I did not reply as raindrops suggestion (to figure-eight wrap the wing with vet wrap) was the correct advice and also to give aspirin (no other type of aspirin substitute tho)... i did see however that rainbo never posted the illustration for the figure-eight bandage... did you manage to get it bandaged? If not you really need to do so as this will effectively restrict him from using it -which is what he needs in order for it to heal properly.

Last edited:
just a quick update on Clyde - we had to go to TS to get feed and black sunflower seed oil - finally found it LOL

and Clyde was already in the coop roosting with his Bonnie by his side. I did pick him up and he seems alot better than before. He even attacked DH when we collected eggs when DH came home - so DH was very happy to see Clyde acting normal. He is holding his wing in the right place it is still alittle swollen in the elbow I am guessing it will be swollen for a few days at least.

I am armed with a super soaker , hot sauce , and a bad temper LOL it is not perfect and I know it will not be a forever fix but at least that little bugger will get a nasty mouthfull tomorrow if he comes around ( which I am sure he will - he kinda had a taste of chicken ).

Like I thought - the neighbors did not seem to care about the damage that could have been if I were not home to save him.

I am waiting on a call from the landlord to see if there is anything he might be able to do - he is NOT a fan of those dogs - loves my chickens ( free eggs help lol
wink.png
)

thank you all - I do have asprin and a wrap for him if he looks like he needs it in the morning I will wrap him I did not want to bother him while he was trying to rest.

Julie

Quote:
Just a couple of suggestions- although you've got a lot already. I'm a cop in Michigan. Not sure about the laws in your area, but I would keep calling. Neither animal control nor police can't just "ignore" your calls, but if the dogs aren't around when they get there, there's not much they can do. A good idea is when the dogs are in your yard, catch them and pen them up. THEN call. When you say you have them captured, they'll show up a lot quicker- most of the time, when I get a "dog at large" complaint, the dogs are gone by the time I get there if the callers don't catch them. If that happens a couple of times, officers will get sick of coming and start writing tickets to the dogs owners.

I definitely wouldn't kill or injure the dogs- sure you might be justified, but do you really want to go to court and prove it, then possibly get sued or charged with Malicious Destruction of Property? Not worth it. Instead, get some pepper spray or a BB gun. I use one of the old Daisy Red Riders. Not powerful enough to break the skin, but hurts A LOT. A shot from it or pepper spray, and the dogs will head-for-z-hills. Dogs learn quickly from pain, so be consistant and hit them with all you've got EVERY TIME they come in your yard, not just when they cause problems. Anything you do that would actually injure the dogs could cause problems for you- again, I'm not saying you'd be wrong in doing so, just that you could have problems that you don't need. Hope that helps.

The following site has some excellent illustrations on how to figure eight bandage a wing ( direct reproduction of the illustration is not possible due to copyrights):
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

I urge you to stabilize the wing with the figure of eight bandage..the following PDF link is no longer active (illustrated) however the yahoo cache did:
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache...ds+bird+birding&d=dzMlNPH_QP_b&icp=1&.intl=us
Bird Breaks Animal Outpatient Care Center of Truckee Tahoe “The Doctor’s Office for Pets” 10939A Industrial Way Suite 101 Truckee, CA 96161 530-587-5144 [email protected]
“.....Fractures are classified in a variety of ways based on anatomic location, type of break, whether it is open or not, etc. Just as important, as the bony injury is the soft tissue damage associated with it. Those amazing bones are surrounded by just as amazing, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels; and the force necessary to break a bone causes severe harm to everything else in the way. Even the broken bone does harm as it penetrates the overlying tissue if displaced. The soft tissue injury is often the ultimate factor in whether a bird can be fixed or not. Even the primary and secondary flight feathers attach to the underlying periosteum, which is the covering of bone. The radius and ulna, which are the forearm in mammals, are generally fused by fibrous tissue. In the bird, the two bones must be able to slide one relative to the other. Soft tissue differences such as this, the presence of a patagium, and the very limited blood supply to the distal limb and digits make care of soft tissue as important as the underlying bone.......Splints and bandages should be as minimal as possible but contain padding over prominences and joints. Birds breathe by expanding their keels, and body wraps should never impede a bird’s ability to ventilate. Keep fundamentals such as this in mind and be creative.....While birds are generally considered to heal faster than mammals, I have not found that to be the case especially with fractures. 8 weeks minimum is pretty standard for an adult bird while youngsters do heal faster. Old patients and patients with concurrent disease or injury may take a prolonged time to heal. "

Last edited:
Is it possible to perhaps restrict the bird (with its mate for company perhaps?) ... a nice warm place (if it is cold) ... by restricting its freerange it will be in a less stress environment and less likely to injure itself (or be injured by others)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom