I am sitting here crying - opinions please! (Update)

good luck with your dog. i know you feel bad about this but i think your dog needs to go before he gets loose and kills more animals or kills some body else's animals. i gave a big dog away that was a killer once. i gave her to some people down the road that had a 2 month old baby. this dog was large around 140 pounds. they new this dog had killed goats when i gave it to them. they were out in the yard laying on a blanket with the baby one day when the dog got after a cat. the cat being scared ran strait for its humans with dog right on it trampled the baby several times. needless to say the dog was shot on the spot and the baby went to the hospital. the baby was fine just bruised up real good and had some scratches from the dog/cat fight. I'm sorry but i feel there is no place in this world for a killing dog. it sounds like this dog does not respect you or your family. i know you love your dog but i would put him down. hope this helps stay strong and good luck

if you are having trouble with him when he sees other animals then I think the pinch collar would be a great idea. my dog actually is HORRIBLE when it comes to motorcycles and he will bite you or anything else to get to them. a pinch collar is the ONLY way that I can keep a handle on him. I get it close to the snap and pin him to the ground untill it has passed. try using one and see what happens, if that doesn't work then I am out of ideas. Do not use it as an all the time collar though, ONLY for walks when you can actually give a correction, also a correction is only effective if you see behavior changing in 1-3 attempts if it is taking longer then you need to do it harder

Thanks I am going to go to bed, I appreciate all the advice and prayers, it means the world to me. When my mom called, my dad yelled in the background that the dog was here first so he should get to stay, the other animals should leave. That is not an option for me, I will be calling my vet on Monday morning to see what they recommend. No matter what we decide Rocky was loved very much while he was here and I guess that was better than him sitting in a pound. He was fed well, taken to the vet, loved and treated like family.

That was really insensitive of your dad. I am sorry to say that. the other pets are just as important as your dog. I do agree with the poster above abou tfinding him another home. There is always the chance he will get loose and kill someone elses animals. Ive had many dogs like that sent to the city pound that have gotten into my rabbits and killed them. Your vet will know what is best for him. Maybe they can help you find a home for him where he won't be able to escape or bother any more animals.

Most dogs will kill chickens if given the opportunity. You have a logistics problem. You need to organize your animals so the dog has no access to other animals he can hurt. I have two rotts who watch my chickens all day long through the fence (chicken TV) but with a ton of determination we have the chickens secure enough the dogs can't get to them. My dogs have killed my chickens before. It was quite the learning experience. Once we figured out how to keep the dogs from having access to the chickens, the problem ceased. Working with special needs children I know the loss of a pet can be very painful for them (as well as anyone else). It all depends on how much energy you want to invest. I wish you the best!

My mom had a chow and he would kill other animals if they got in his reach. He was very protective of the family and the house. We had him until he got old and died. I would not put him down. If you can't keep him call a resuce and see if they can fine him a home where there is no other animals around.
Chris

Quote:
That is what I suggest also, I think you need a professional's one on one help. I believe he can be stopped from killing other animals, I have seen it happen. Something triggered it.
But maybe it is too much for you to try at this time. Its hard with a family.
I do feel very sorry for your son, it must be heartbreaking for him. I wish I could take the dog. Death would be the last option but there is liability issues.
If he has squeaky toys, throw them away. A dog rehabilitator told me they are one of the worst toys a dog should have, mimics a small animal crying, then it triggers the predator instinct.
Good Luck to you, your family and Rocky
hugs.gif

Have you considered homeopathic treatment for his aggression? Look at the yahoo group classical homeopathy for pets. He could be suffering from vaccinnossis issues. We have a little pom who you can just see when something triggers him adversely. It's like a switch goes off in his head. I can just imagine what it must be like when that switch goes off in a big dog! We have treated him off and on as time has allowed and he is a totally different dog when I keep up with his treatment. Good luck - they are like family, each and every one of them.

2 of our lap dogs (Schnauzer & Shih-Tzu) we've had since they were 8 weeks old just killed 2 chickens and previous to that bit my middle son in the cheek (face) It was the Schnauzer and she has become more skittish and intolerant with age. I did forgive the dogs through all their heinous acts, but they are at my mother in law's right now until we decide on a more permanent solution. I know exactly what you are going through and I'm sure the right decision that is best for you and your family will come through your thoughts as you digest all you've experienced.
Best of Luck!

Call or write the Dog Whisperer...Cesar Millan! He is so great! I love his show on National Geographic. He would definitely help you out! I swear by him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom