I am so sad

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kathydoolittle, Sep 27, 2010.

1. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    [​IMG] I am so sad, I got woke up at 5:30 am saturday. My husband told me I needed to get up and come outside a guy was here to pick up the chickens. My husband sold my my chickens and turkeys. The guy is suppose to be here this evening to pick them up. I told my husband I am getting more and he better not sell them. I am going to miss my guys, I have had them since I was going through chemo treatments and enjoyed and spoiled them. Now I will have to find an incubator and some more. I WILL GET SOME MORE, OR WILL DIE TRYING. I just cried and cried. Then this morning he went out with me to feed and fresh water for them and started. I don't want to let the guy have this one or that one. And he's the one that sold them. I told him that's okAY I will find another since you sold them, you should have thought about that before. I know it's just because he lost his job and is afraid we wouldn't be able to care for them like I do. Because the are rather spoiled. I have a feeling it will take sometime to get more since he lost his job and I am unable to work. LIFE REALLY SUCKS. So if anyone has anything super cheap please let me know.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you will just get more..... than why sell them? I would tell hubby he better come up with some other chickens and turkeys to sell to the man. Or, if you are concerned about keeping all, just sell some.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Honestly - you should not sell them!!!!!!!! Tell the fellow you both changed your minds and they are not for sale.

I know it will be difficult to keep them on a low budget. - Find other things you can go without. I got my chickens when i had a Cancer scare so I can appretiate how much they mean to you. I was lucky I did not have Cancer but the chickens sure helped me through 8 weeks of worry until I got the test results and then surgery.
    As the other poster said I would go get other birds and sell the guy those instead of your babies!!!!!!

You guys are under pressure and its not a time for making big changes.

Love you Oesdog - Wish I could send you what you need to care for them but I can't - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    If you can't work and your hubby just lost his job, getting rid of the chickens would be the LAST THING I WOULD DO!!! As long as you have chickens running around, you will have something to eat. I would bow up and tell DH and the man coming to get them not only no, but HELL NO. Stick to your guns. You might have to figure out a cheaper way to feed them, free range or plant feed for them, but if I was out of work, I durn sure would not get rid of something that might feed my family.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] My chickens are MY chickens and DH would know better than to make a decision for them without my approval. Chickens that can free-range don't need much feed and my family can find a lot of ways to eat eggs if we had to.

[​IMG]

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Why would your husband even think of selling your animals?
    Your pets, you want them...enough said.

If you were close enough I would share my Silkies with you.
    Maybe. I'm not really attached to them. But I like them pretty
    well. They make me happy.

I don't think I would ever sell anything that belongs to my wife.
    Pretty sure she would get mad about it.

She has a house dog. A jack russel. Now, I don't like that dog a
    little bit. (Don't like a dog in my house.) But she likes that dog.
    Pets it, plays with it. It comforts her. And this is enough for me.
    There's times I feed it, water it, walk it. But it's her buddy and
    therefore is free to live in our home.

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd be rolling my husband in feathers and tar and giving him to the man when he arrived to pick up his purchase.

8. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Julie08, that is the best idea yet...sell him as a rare heritage "turkey" for big bucks!!! [​IMG]

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    preferably, by the pound!!

10. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

Isn't there any way you could just downsize and not sell them all? I sold my flock (30+) this Spring because I was too sick to take care of them and I felt bad that DH had feed, water, gather eggs and clean the coop since he has no interest in chickens. I missed them so much, though, that I'm resting some eggs to put in the incubator as I type. I plan to keep it on a smaller scale this time so that it will stay enjoyable and won't get overwhelming. We're having to be super careful with money, too, but my chicken treats are mainly the fruit, veggie and grain scraps I would have had to thrown out or composted anyway, so having a flock is fairly inexpensive and saves trash bags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by