I Am Sooo Sick & Tired Of These Things!!! Sparrows, Rant!!!

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
HOUSE SPARROWS!!! I HATE THEM!!! They are getting into my coop and pooping on EVERYTHING! Plus, they have given my chickens mites and they're eating the chicken food!
he.gif

Last year, I invested ($300+) in smaller wire for my runs. Didn't work, they still squeezed in.

I spent close to $100 to buy feeders for IN the coop (before I was feeding in the runs).

Then sparrows then moved IN to the coop!
rant.gif

Then I spent another $75 on two decoy owls (the rotating head kind) which I moved several times and now, they SIT & POOP ON THEM!

I started locking my cats in the coop in the late afternoon and while the cats did get a few of them, the way my coop is designed, the cats only have access to the large room, not the chicken pens themselves, so the birds are able to stay on the other of the wire and avoid the cats.

Then, I recently invested in 5/16" bird netting. Spent over $100.00 on it. It's a 50' x 10' piece, made of nylon. I got most of it hung up and then hubby came home and told me to take it down because it was "ugly" and was going to "ruin" my runs (with heavy snow fall coming soon).

So I took it down.

Then I went to Home Depot and spent $25 on a thick, heavy, canvas tarp. I cut it into pieces and made strips out of those pieces. I hung those over my chicken pop doors. That worked until they got wet & muddy and clumped...now the birds just fly through them and it's made my coop warmer but more dusty and with less ventilation. So I took those down.

I asked about building covered runs for my chickens and hubby just laughed at me. He said I better save my money because he's not going to pay for it and he's not going to do it, either. He said more than $1,000 to do what I have in mind. Of course, the ground is frozen solid so I can't do anything until spring anyway.
barnie.gif

Now, they are so brazen that they don't really even fly away when I come into the coop. I have been slapping them out of my way and doing batting practice with a broom...LOL when I go outside, they won't even wait for me to get out of the runs before they are flying down to drink the chickens' water!!
somad.gif

Last weekend, we loaded up the shotgun and I'd scare them and hubby would blast the flock. We managed to get a few but within minutes of returning inside, the flock was back. We repeated this process FOUR times--killed 25+ and I'm guessing there are more than 100 left.

Funny, I've spent over $600.00 now on trying to get rid of them...I could have (almost) built covered runs by now!
th.gif

Dont give up on that trap. They work. You have to take away their food source so they have to go to the trap. I had them last year getting into my corn. I set the trap near where they were congregating, sprinkled corn around the trap and on the edge of the trap, and caught dozens. Literally. I could sit on my back porch and watch them get caught. Havent come back since. So keep trying.

Quote:
Taking away their food source means that my chickens don't eat? LOL

There are a few times during the dead of winter that I'll have to lock my flock into the coop I just use flattened, Flat Rate USPS cardboard boxes & bricks, LOL but until then...the sparrows will still be trying!

The trap is still out now but they are using as a roost/pooping spot...the feed I have for my chickens is new this winter and the sparrows LOVE it.
sad.png

Your post was passion-filled!! Too funny (although I know it's not funny) about the decoy owls!

hide.gif
Isn't the chicken feed a lot cheaper than the cost of trying to get rid of the sparrows?
hide.gif

Seems like a bazillion little birds barely make a dent in my $13 fifty pound bags of chicken feed. (I realize there's also the poop issue though!) To my knowledge my birds have never gotten mites from the little birds though I'm sure it's possible.

I feel your frustration and wish I knew a simple way to discourage the sparrows!!

JJ

Quote:
I suppose...I only pay .18/lb for my feed but I have to buy a minimum of 360lbs to get that price. That lasts me about a month. I have many mouths to feed and sparrows shouldn't count as my chicken food monthly quota.

Not only that but they are pooping on EVERYTHING! Have you ever smelled BURNING sparrow crap on a heat lamp? I have and it's NOT pleasant! LOL

Sparrows do carry many diseases...transmittable to chickens and humans...

Here's something I found, copied and pasted...

They interfere with the production of livestock, particularly poultry, by consuming and contaminating feed. Because they live in such close association with humans, they are a factor in the dissemination of diseases (chlamydiosis, coccidiosis, erysipeloid, Newcastle’s, parathypoid, pullorum, salmonellosis, transmissible gastroenteritis, tuberculosis, various encephalitis viruses, vibriosis, and yersinosis), internal parasites (acariasis, schistosomiasis, taeniasis, toxoplasmosis, and trichomoniasis), and household pests (bed bugs, carpet beetles, clothes moths, fleas, lice, mites, and ticks).

In grain storage facilities, fecal contamination probably results in as much monetary loss as does the actual consumption of grain. House sparrow droppings and feathers create janitorial problems as well as hazardous, unsanitary, and odoriferous situations inside and outside of buildings and sidewalks under roosting areas. Damage can also be caused by the pecking of rigid foam insulation inside buildings. The bulky, flammable nests of house sparrows are a potential fire hazard. The chattering of the flock on a roost is an annoyance to nearby human residents.

My mom has had a family of little birds nest in a birdhouse outside her living room window for generations. I don't know what they are, sparrows or wrens or something. They don't let any other birds nest around them. She has tried to put up more bird houses but these guys won't let anybody else come around. It's been a good 20 years that they have been there. They are pretty tame too, they don't even fly away from people coming out of the house. Maybe if you could get a pair to move in they would chase the other birds away. Then you would only be feeding a few instead of bunch of them. I know these guys even chase away starlings and crows.

Quote:
Probably Kingbirds or something? House Sparrows are a non-native, invasive species that have caused the decline in bluebird populations and other breeds. They kill other breeds' chicks, destroy eggs and even peck open the skulls of other sitting birds! I have heard they won't nest in anything with a hole smaller than 1/2 inch.

Wild birds usually only live for 1-3 years (raptors are the exception) so I'm sure your mom has many generations of whatever they are.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom