I am such a dummy..........I am so mad at myself.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I candeled my eggs today one that is on day 15 looks good. and one on day 4 the one on day 4 looked infertile all i could see was the yolk and looked just real clear. I put the one on day 15 back and cracked the 4th one thinking it was just infertile. Inside I found tiny viens starting...I killed it!!! I am not very good at candeling at all....I am so mad at myself I should have waited but it looked like an unfertile eggs...UGHHH now my hen is down to 1 egg and my shipped eggs still never came I guess they are lost in the mail for 6 days now. Chances on 1 egg hatching is so low I doubt my girl will get any babies
hit.gif

Last edited:
Awww, dont beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes. Where did you order eggs from that they are not there after 6 days!?? Jeesh! What breeds are you trying to hatch? Maybe I can help ya out.
wink.png

A nice BYC member offered eggs to me for just shipping. He sent them out tuesday from Tx to Ky and they still have not arrived.

They are silkies,

After looking at the size of the one chick that is ony day 15 and growing well and looking at the eggs from the other hen that was on day 4 her egg looked more of a pullet egg. So i think it was better it didnt grow cause it would have a hard time hatching.

Don't fret, I just did the same dumb thing today. I just threw a couple of my own eggs into the incubator just to see if they were fertile or not from a few of my own girls. I candled them and three looked to be empty so I took them out. I decided to break them open too, and I was right about two, but the last one was just starting to get very small veins, and there was a blob with two BIG eyeballs. I'm completely disgusted with myself. Well at least I know that it was fertile...AND that I'm an IDIOT!!!
rant.gif

I guess it does happen...and that is a good thing i found out too that my hen and roo and providing fertile eggs. Lessons learned....I need a better candeler thats for sure...LOL

But when I candeled you could see clearly and it just looked nonfertile but I should have waited another 4 days atleast before tossing. UGH I knew this and did it anyways....I'v giving up on hope for my hen having babies. She has one lone egg and its so iffy IDK. I am going to fouces my time into building my own Incubator. So Maybe I wont be going crazy wondering if that egg will hatch.

Well I know I am going to get a better candeler and also will not be tossing or breaking anymore eggs open untill I know for sure nothing is inside that is ALIVE.

But this egg was a very small egg I thought my girl was laying more eggs then thought but it must be my other hen laying the larger eggs. It was still a pullet egg so in away it was for the best Id have to have a full grown chick grow to not hach because of how small the egg was.

Back
Top Bottom