i am thinking of getting a rooster, hubby wants a small one. what kinds are small please?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Jan 30, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    we are thinnking of getting a rooster. hubby wants a small size one. are there any recommendations out there? thanks

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You will want to look into the bantam breeds. We had bantam barred cochins. They are very friendly. Just make sure you can handle the crowing. :barnie

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Why a small one. Just because he smaller does not mean he any more quite. To my ear the smaller the noisier they are.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My barred rock rooster is much louder in sound than my silkie rooster, but they crow just as MUCH as one another.

Silkies are great bantam roosters. Bantam cochins, d'uccle.. There are so many large fowl that have a smaller counterpart.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny, my silkie is hands down the loudest and most frequent crower ever! At least once an hour starting about 4am until after sunset. Did I mention loud? lol

It depends on the Roo I think.

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no..no...no... its not the crowing. he just suggested a smaller one. we had 2 really big ones at one time. plus i think it might be easier on the girls. but no crowing isnt an issue but, now that yall mention that smaller roos are LOUDER mite mention that to him. i mean i like crowing but its doesnt have to be mind blowing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by