I am trying to keep a heritage breed

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
I leave my dogs with access to my chicken. Pests will be handled by the dogs. I really don't care if they kill a protected species. I just know my dogs will deal with them. I will not be legally liable if the dogs kill things. The dogs protect my livestock from threats. They do not need my input they do it on their own.

I just know the dogs won't harm my livestock. They only kill each and every predator that tries to take my chicken, and stays on the ground. Thankfullywe donot have bears down here otherwise I would need more dogs.

Last edited:
Hate to break the news to you, but if your dogs kill anything, YOU can be held liable, and if in violation of law, held accountable. The key element is they have to catch the damage and prove it was your dogs that did the act. If that can be done, you will/can be prosecuted. Be aware. Some protected species carry pretty stiff penalties for killing them.

Hate to break the news to you, but if your dogs kill anything, YOU can be held liable, and if in violation of law, held accountable. The key element is they have to catch the damage and prove it was your dogs that did the act. If that can be done, you will/can be prosecuted. Be aware. Some protected species carry pretty stiff penalties for killing them.
That is the key aspect then. Nobody will ever know. I live in a somewhat remote area and do not have curious neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom