I ate some store bought bread today and...

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
OMG it was so nasty that I actually gagged. I don't understand this, I buy and eat hamburger and hotdog buns all the time and they aren't that nasty...so why is the bread so bad? It has the texture of foam, it was like eating a spoiled bread like foam. It makes my skin crawl when I think about it. I guess you can get used to just about anything but I'm not even going to give this one a try... I'll just keep on making my own.

Homemade, wholesome food is very addictive.....it is hard to turn around and go back to the alternative stuff we label as food in our society.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I never have liked that soft, gooey bread. But I've even gotten so I don't like store bought french bread either for the same reason. And when you have made a ton of bread from scratch, it's just so easy it makes you wonder why anyone buys bread. Not to mention the savings.

Okay maybe im missing something. I have made my own bread plenty of times, BUT it is not cheaper than either store bought white bread OR italian. The YEAST is high. A 3 pk is almost $2. SO with the butter,milk, and flour, NOT cheaper. WHile I will say it tastes better, it is NOT cheaper. SO what am I doing wrong? My yeast must be too high I guess.

Try to find a 1 lb. bag of SAF instant yeast either in a store, or as I do, online. It will last a long time and is way cheaper than the 3-pack envelopes. I found a sale on Amazon recently and ordered four 1 lb. vacuum bags of the SAF yeast for $12. I also ordered a CD I had been wanting so I got the free shipping. I keep the extra yeast in the freezer in a zip bag (still in its original bag) and put the yeast in a glass canning jar with a tight fitting lid and keep it in the fridge. I've NEVER had this yeast go old and useless on me.

A pound of yeast will fill up a quart jar. Think about how many of those little envelopes it would take to do that. It will keep at least a year, maybe twice that stored in the freezer. I order mine from King Arthur since I've never been able to find it locally.

Just took my weekly bread out of the oven with this post fresh in mind so decided to crunch the numbers. I'm a professional bean counter. : )

The rolls on the left have two teaspoons of yeast and the ones on the right have one teaspoon.
A pound of yeast is about a quart which is 192 teaspoons. King Arthur sells a pound of yeast for $5.95 and charges $6.00 for shipping. : (

That comes out to 6 1/4 cents per teaspoon. So, all this bread has 18 3/4 cents worth of yeast in it, or just slightly over a penny per roll.

SU1HMDAyOTktMjAxMTA4MTQtMTMzOS5qcGc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom