I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

I raise Heritage turkeys in addition to chickens. Several years ago we raised a turkey that looked male and was bigger than the other males, but in every other way 'he' acted like a female, including hanging out and foraging with the turkey hens. (Turkeys segregate by gender when it's not breeding season). These birds were being raised for Thanksgiving, and when 'he' was processed, we found three testicles! No ovaries or oviduct.
Any updates on your egg laying rooster?
Like with most groundbreaking realities, this one obviously has authenticity. I absolutely love your comment, because that points to the absolute truth of this conversation! Which is, is this possible? And the answer is, yes it is possible! And from then on it does not matter if you try to prove or disprove what you believe to be true to people who will not accept your word or even written documentation, or let alone, confirm truth. But let's be honest people, there are many things in this world that we once took for true that we now have found to be false. I'm just saying, consider that before casting judgment or doubt and decision on those who think differently. Especially when that thinking definitely proves it to be a reality. The only thing any of us can be certain of beyond any Shadow of doubt, is that despite our best effort and education and intelligence, sometimes we get it wrong. If you can accept that as a reality, then we all pity you.

...I went to a professional veterinarian that I trusted and he told me in his professional opinion that this sex reversal thing is real and could be an absolute possibility. ...

...My vet did discuss something about DNA but he was not sure that it would absolutely be on any shadow of a doubt prove this is or is not what happened....expand my knowledge and understanding of what happens in these cases and why.

In case what I posted before is science or medical or whatever we are now not supposed to talk about - I've been trying to understand what might happen and why (as this situation or as a hypothetical) - not trying to bash in any of my posts.

Intersex in various species makes sense to me whether it an unusual hormone production (or exposure - such as the free martin heifers) or unusual sex genes (extra copy of one or the other kind, for example). Possibly there are other ways.

Sex reversal, though.... what did the vet mean by that? I can think of several things it could mean in the context of chickens. Some known to be possible; some not possible.
  • It could mean a male looking like a female from hatching
  • It could mean a male looking like a male from hatching until something happens so that he doesn't
  • It could mean a gene therapy type change
  • It could mean a chicken capable of laying a fertile egg changed to become a chicken capable of delivering viable sperm.
  • Other options
And the vise versa male/female for each of the males and the females in the list.

If it were the fourth option - what changed? The entire system (is what it sounds like is being proposed, but maybe I misread)? How would that work - one was absorbed while the other grew? He had two reproductive systems? Not just two but one of each?

Or did the ovary or ovary part of a gonad (and the parts that added the albumin, the membranes, the shell, the color, the bloom) work for a while and then the testis or testis parts start working a chicken that had one system that worked for both?

In case what I posted before is science or medical or whatever we are now not supposed to talk about - I've been trying to understand what might happen and why (as this situation or as a hypothetical) - not trying to bash in any of my posts.

Intersex in various species makes sense to me whether it an unusual hormone production (or exposure - such as the free martin heifers) or unusual sex genes (extra copy of one or the other kind, for example). Possibly there are other ways.

Sex reversal, though.... what did the vet mean by that? I can think of several things it could mean in the context of chickens. Some known to be possible; some not possible.
  • It could mean a male looking like a male from hatching until something happens so that he doesn't
  • It could mean a chicken capable of laying a fertile egg changed to become a chicken capable of delivering viable sperm.
  • Other options
And the vise versa male/female for each of the males and the females in the list.

If it were the fourth option - what changed? The entire system (is what it sounds like is being proposed, but maybe I misread)? How would that work - one was absorbed while the other grew? He had two reproductive systems? Not just two but one of each?

Or did the ovary or ovary part of a gonad (and the parts that added the albumin, the membranes, the shell, the color, the bloom) work for a while and then the testis or testis parts start working a chicken that had one system that worked for both?

I attempted to send you a link to a paper that explained sex reversal as far as the medical field understands it. If you did not get it let me know and I will try again, as you will find out and everybody else knows - I am not the most technical person on this planet and not even in this room, which consists of three stupid cats a dumb butt dog and some turtles and fish, anyway - please let me know if my response was either helpful or hurtful, cause truthfully at this point, I'm having a hard time deciphering between the two!?

I attempted to send you a link to a paper that explained sex reversal as far as the medical field understands it. If you did not get it let me know and I will try again, as you will find out and everybody else knows - I am not the most technical person on this planet and not even in this room, which consists of three stupid cats a dumb butt dog and some turtles and fish, anyway - please let me know if my response was either helpful or hurtful, cause truthfully at this point, I'm having a hard time deciphering between the two!?

And please if you don't receive the paper on sex reversal and chickens, please tell me and I'll try to resend it. It is a professional paper written by a professional at Ohio State University, and if anybody out there wants to argue with that - go right ahead.

I raise Heritage turkeys in addition to chickens. Several years ago we raised a turkey that looked male and was bigger than the other males, but in every other way 'he' acted like a female, including hanging out and foraging with the turkey hens. (Turkeys segregate by gender when it's not breeding season). These birds were being raised for Thanksgiving, and when 'he' was processed, we found three testicles! No ovaries or oviduct.
Any updates on your egg laying rooster?
What your story proves is this - things happen that we don't understand because understanding is not required. None of us will put on this Earth to get it! And if you go through life accepting what you've been told and they were challenging the truth of it, again - we all pity you. But your story only adds to the validity that there are things that do happen that we do not fully understand! And to ridicule or criticize anybody who questions that, in my opinion, has a little mind and cannot conceive of anything they do not see. And if that doesn't make any sense to you, completely understandable. But to that statement I say this, if you have an ear for what I am saying then you will hear me and if not, well thanks for listening!. This discussion has revealed this fact, and argue it if you want, sex reversal is a reality and does and has happened, whether we fully understand it or not does not take away from the validity of the truth. And the truth is this - we have a lot to look at and learn. And to come up with some kind of absolute answer that it is this or that, is narrow-minded and ultimately wrong. And again, to all of those who disagree with me - bless you and thank you!

• Other options

If you can't see or download or whatever the paper that I tried to post on sex reversal please let me know and I will absolutely try to get that out there for you to see. Not really looking for a yes or no, more interested in what you think based on what you've seen and understand.

Back
Top Bottom