I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

And that is something that I consider, but all my coops are locked up and anybody who knows me would know that that's a good way to get shot or ripped up by a dog.
No-one else living in the same household? (Siblings, children, parents, housemates.)

And you would actually have to go into one coupe to open the door to get inside that one to get an egg into that box. And I've tried to run every scenario through my head because I know what people would think because it's what I would think this is a hoax but it sure is God made little green apples I went out there today and it was an egg in that box and that's where he's been sleeping or should I say she!
Yes, it does sound like you considered the options pretty carefully :)

I did candle the egg as soon as I took it out and it looks fresh. I did not put it in water cuz I did not want to affect the cuticle until I found a little bit more about it. So I'm keeping the egg in a cool place until I can find more out. Probably going to put the egg in my incubator, although laying an egg is one thing but laying a fertilized egg a self fertilized egg would be quite another!

No-one else living in the same household? (Siblings, children, parents, housemates.)

Yes, it does sound like you considered the options pretty carefully :)
And I did consider that the egg had somehow got overlooked when I took all the bedding out several weeks ago. But I canceled the egg as soon as it came out of there and it looks fresh now I haven't floated it cuz I didn't want to affect the cuticle by putting it in water quite yet but I'm definitely going to be looking into this a lot deeper. Next thing will be to verify medically that this chicken can lay eggs and if I put this egg in my incubator and it hatches well that'll be a whole other exciting thing, it's hard to believe that a rooster looking bird can lay a egg but it would be quite another feat if you could lay a self fertilized egg!

And I did consider that the egg had somehow got overlooked when I took all the bedding out several weeks ago. But I canceled the egg as soon as it came out of there and it looks fresh now I haven't floated it cuz I didn't want to affect the cuticle by putting it in water quite yet but I'm definitely going to be looking into this a lot deeper. Next thing will be to verify medically that this chicken can lay eggs and if I put this egg in my incubator and it hatches well that'll be a whole other exciting thing, it's hard to believe that a rooster looking bird can lay a egg but it would be quite another feat if you could lay a self fertilized egg!
Candle the egg! Too many background noises for auto dictate

Nobody in this house but me the dog the cat the turtles the fish and chickens and none of them have thumbs. If they did they'd be a lot of things I'd be blaming on them around here!

Hermaphrodites are neither capable of laying eggs or fertilizing them. To me this looks like a rooster, plain and simple. How the egg got there is a mystery, but I don't believe he laid it.
Well I'll be the first entertain any other scenario that anybody would like to come up with but as it stands right now it's either the greatest joke ever played on me something else is going on here. I do plan to have the bird medically examined. And the egg is fresh.

In my opinion, that’s 100% a rooster. I don’t know how the egg got there, but it sure didn’t come out of him. There was a thread like this a while back, turns out the poster was just faking it to see how many people would believe him.

Back
Top Bottom