I believe i have a roo not sure and i think he is trying to crow

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
hi i have a 7 to 8 week old RIR i think is a roo but not quite sure yet but i notice that when i go outside the other chicks that age makes a peeping sound but this chicken sounds like he or she is gurgling water almost sounds like a pigeon and it walks around like it is trying to strut its stuff lol Is this a roo and is that sound the begining f him/her trying to get started crowing

60848_102_0106.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated

definatly a RiR roo notice how the RiR hen has a yellowish comb they can turn pinkish also I am gonna have to say thats 100% roo i have 40 RiR's at the moment. Doesnt mean I am accurate.

ok ty but what about the gurgling sound he makes almost sound like he trying to gurgle water it is similar to a pegion sound is that him trying to start to use his voice and start crowing soon i just can not wait to hear his first attempt at crowing

I have a pair of Silver Sebrights that have started to crow over the last week or so. Although they are bantams which adds to the cuteness their raspy little crows are adorable.

should start in a couple of weeks...mine sounded like a broken horn when he started!!!! at first i was like you got to be kidding me, but he has praticed alot and sounds much better..he's not very loud but i'm sure that will change!! i have 4 RIR roos and only 1 crows...thank GOD!!!

Quote:
Oh, yes! I, too, have two Silver Sebright roos starting to crow this week. They make me giggle, but I still cheer 'em on.

And I suppose a "gurgle" could describe the earliest attempts at large fowl crowing. The next step is a strangled cow sound. Then comes the raspy "err a err err errrr." After that, your RIR will get a good crow on.

My first Black austrlope crowed this week if i had to relate the sound to something it was like a kids toy gun that makes noise and the batterys died mid stroke. 3 days later he is crowing well just not real loud. I am sure you are hearing his first attempts at announcing its his yard lol

Back
Top Bottom