I bought a horrible coop..what can I do?

what specifically are you worried about?

you could reinforce all corners (also where the roof attaches) with metal brackets or 2x4s

you can add extra/more secure latches to help against predators

you can build a secure run that goes entirely around the coop if it is one with an attached wire run that is flimsy so you have your cheap coop within a secure run

you can repaint it for added weatherproofing

you can add a nest box if needed

you can put a different roost in it or re-position the roosts that are in it already

I don't think it has to be a total loss, so much as a starting point. Give us pictures and list your concerns, there are lots of knowledgeable and handy people on here who can give you input!
Thank you so much! I will do that as I start to put it together

I also bought a horrible coop but it turned out ok after I painted it with many layers of paint and replaced all the locks with the ones that racoons can't open. I ended up putting all my $ in creating a secure run that was made out of a dog kennel and covered with hardware cloth and even the top is covered. I don't even lock the coop since the run is so secure now.
Is there a certain kind of paint to use. Just worrried about it being too toxic for chickens

I have 4 chickens. I live in the mid west. It will start getting cold in November. I bought this coop because it had a larger run. The run is approx 8 feet long. My girls have grown out of their current coop. I also need more ventilation.

First things first... Predator proof...

Wind breaks can be made in several ways... A really inexpensive way is to use bales of straw stacked on the prevailing wind side.

I have a friend who lives in Alaska and he neither heats or insulates his coops.... But his ventilation is awesome. Moisture and condensation are the biggest factors in frost bite for chickens....

Great Article on Ventilation and how it works

If you get alot of snow build up you can do a temporary secondary roof over the coop if possible. I used to build my goats an igloo out of straw bales with a sheet of plywood over the top. Yes we get snow in the desert. And WIND Big time year round.

Remember chickens make alot of heat on their own and when together in a coop they will keep each other warm.

deb

Is there a certain kind of paint to use. Just worrried about it being too toxic for chickens
I always use Acrylic... Easy to clean up and pretty much non toxic.
plus if you want to get creative you can get some tubes of regular acrylic paints for painting picutres.... Then you can mix it in with some of your base color and decorate.... LOL

deb

I only painted the outside of the coop, not the inside, and made sure it had time to dry completely before the chickens were locked in it for the night in case the fumes were bad. I just asked the guy at the hardware store for a good outdoor paint for a wood surface (my coop is wood) and went on his recommendation. I don't find that my chickens peck at the coop and are scraping/eating paint chips (I have had parrots indoors that do this, so yeah, it can be a concern with some birds). Lots of people paint the inside too, I'm sure they could recommend a good paint for that.

I just have a piece of plywood on the windiest side of the run that blocks some of the wind and the chickens have figured out to huddle behind it when it's gusty. It also creates a shady spot during certain times of the day.

I always use Acrylic... Easy to clean up and pretty much non toxic.
plus if you want to get creative you can get some tubes of regular acrylic paints for painting picutres.... Then you can mix it in with some of your base color and decorate.... LOL

deb
Thanks so much for your advice!

I only painted the outside of the coop, not the inside, and made sure it had time to dry completely before the chickens were locked in it for the night in case the fumes were bad. I just asked the guy at the hardware store for a good outdoor paint for a wood surface (my coop is wood) and went on his recommendation. I don't find that my chickens peck at the coop and are scraping/eating paint chips (I have had parrots indoors that do this, so yeah, it can be a concern with some birds). Lots of people paint the inside too, I'm sure they could recommend a good paint for that.

I just have a piece of plywood on the windiest side of the run that blocks some of the wind and the chickens have figured out to huddle behind it when it's gusty. It also creates a shady spot during certain times of the day.
Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi again...

With you talking about your girls outgrowing the run, with the kennel I use to hold the houses, I also staked a playpen yard around a couple of sides of the kennel...if they aren't free ranging then they have the option just to stay in their fenced area. I just bought a couple rolls of 2' chick fencing and some little fence stakes and there you go...instant run. You can also add on or move it around too. If you are able to let them free range and would be safe then they always will come back to their home for bed. My hens and 2 drakes go meandering all over my 8 acres but right on the dot they are back home waiting to go to bed at the same time every night. I do have raccoons and coyotes around but they don't show themselves in the day so thebkids have been safe. I'll post a couple pics of the kennel/houses/fencing to give you an idea.

Here's the pics of my set up. Lots of great ideas out there so any one will work perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    921.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4724.JPG
    IMG_4724.JPG
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have 4 chickens. I live in the mid west. It will start getting cold in November. I bought this coop because it had a larger run. The run is approx 8 feet long. My girls have grown out of their current coop. I also need more ventilation.
I would go for putting dog kennel fencing around it to give your chickens more of a run. I would still run hardware cloth all the way around the bottom and look at closing off the top to keep flying predators away.

Back
Top Bottom