I brought home more chicks

Melontine

Songster
5 Years
May 26, 2019
Maine
Did I need more chicks? No, especially not when I’ve got a shipment of 20 coming in a few weeks. Did I want them? Heck yeah

This group comes with a story;
I started working at tractor supply last year. We’ve been getting chicks each week for the past month. Last night someone messed up and a couple of chicks weren’t in the greatest shape this morning.

I found Soggy laying flat in some soaked wood shavings when cleaning the mess. She’s an isa brown, and chirped are me when I scooped her up. From there she was wrapped up in a paper towel and kept warm, we took turns holding onto her throughout the morning and slowly she regained her strength.
My store manager offered to give her to someone for free if they wanted to take on her care, no one stepped up though.

I set her up a new pen, gave her a single buddy, though the buddy was replaced with a bunch of bantams as we got another shipment in. Soggy did well, and was up and quite active after a bit.
By the time my shift ended I was pretty confident she was going to be alright.

I was driving home, and wondered if Soggy would still be there tomorrow. I set up my own brooder pen and came back to get Soggy and a few friends for her.

Now I’ve got four new birds. Soggy the isa brown, Cookie the Brahma, Pumpkin the silkie, and Pinecone the Rhode Island /barred rock cross.

For Soggy; she seems to be doing alright now, but is there anything I should look out for as she recovers?

D0E0B960-D4D0-4DB0-ACAA-92E7C46E84FD.jpeg

D7AFE88E-C1F2-4E28-AB9B-1C404B483B18.jpeg

They’re settled in and seem quite happy today.

Kinda thinking Pinecone is just a Rhode Island or maybe crossed with something else? Not really seeing that barred rock in her.

Back
Top Bottom