1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can see them moving!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tink0602, May 19, 2011.

1. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I candled some of our 8 Muscovy Duck Eggs tonight, and could see some of the wiggling around!...(at least I'm pretty sure!)[​IMG]

Totally new to incubating eggs. These were rescued after the mama was killed in front of the nest.

2. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Sorry....today is day 13!

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG] Yay! Isn't it wonderful when you first get to see them start moving around?

4. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    I was so excited![​IMG]

As a newbie, I have been trying to research everything so that they turn out okay. I think I have to go get something to measure the humidity, but right now I have just been keeping the trays on the bottom full every 4 days or so.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry to read of what happened to the momma duck. Was she sitting on them for a while before she killed? Muscovy eggs do better when at least started under a duck. It will be a nice legacy if you can raise some of her babies

6. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    We hope to keep a little bit of her alive by saving the babies. She had been laying them for about a week, and had just started to sit on them the night before. My kids were so excited to see her out there on them finally. They ran out to peek on her the next morning and found her dead with feathers everywhere. They were so upset. [​IMG]
    Now, they can't wait to hold and take care of her babies, though.[​IMG] We had named her sugar, so now we are already thinking of new names - like brown sugar or powdered sugar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by