I can't believe he actually flogged me...

DillardHome

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Claxton, GA
Well I've read about on BYC a few times but did not think my roo would do it to me.

My current flock includes 13 hens to only 1 roo. Plus ten 6-8wk old chicks that I am selling. They all free range from dawn to dusk everyday. That said....

I've had my EE roo since March 2010, bought him as a fuzzy chick from the feed store. Even though the bin was marked pullets I wasn't too disappointed when "she" turned out to be a "he". My chickens are all very well taken care of. He had always had the "stay out of your way and avoid you attitude", never a problem. However, early this morning I let them out of the coop and as I came up behind him walking by he slightly went after my leg, I quickly corrected him even going after him. I kinda let it go since maybe I startled him coming up from behind. BUT, later that morning I went out to check their food & water and he full fledge went after my leg again no misunderstanding this time, I again went after him and he tried it again seconds later, I went after him again and stood there staring at him until he walked away. I am so bummed he is such a pretty boy, but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder every time I go out there.

Do you think this may have just been a battle of wills and who the real flock leader is? Possibly making this an isolated incident? Or could this be a sign he is turning aggressive?

I have always said I would never tolerate such behavior, but sometimes it's easier to "talk the talk" than "walk the walk". However, if this is a sign of what's to come he's gotta go.

So bummed!!
hmm.png

I have a bantam rooster who started this up when spring hit I think it is him seeing who is boss. I would fast pace walk and chase him its what a bigger rooster would do, I have also held mine pinned like he does to the girls it seems to be working. If he does not correct his behavior in short order you might have to rethink what you want to do.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply SCHELLIE69!! When you say "short order", how long should I wait to determine his fate...1 day, 2 days....? He has been gutsy twice today, I haven't been able to go back out yet but I will make a point to do so.

It has taken me a few weeks to learn what works for mine. That depends on how much time you want to spend. I am spending more time due to who my rooster is, there is a link in my signature line about his story. I would think a few more times and he will know who is boss also don't let him mate the hens when you are around knock him off its what the bigger rooster would do. That also works for me. I found today that I can get my rooster to go where I want just by using a stick and pushing him a little he has not even looked like he wants to attack me.

I have walked my dominant roo backwards a few times, and have picked him up and carried him around for a while more than once. I think the chicks Angel is raising has caused Carl to be a bit more protective of late. But after a walk back, Carl is fine for a few ekes. He never flogs me, but he has run at my feet to peck them once. I mean, one warning peck.

Otherwise, no problems; he does all the right Roo stuff. He even slaps down the banty roos when they give a run at me. Its only when I am near the chicks that he has gotten antsy.

I can live with that. But I'll continue to make sure he knows I'm boss.

I have one roo that is a pill...a squirt or two from the garden hose (with the jet head attachment) keeps him at bay. I also have a stick I carry in with me. I just automatically tap him with it once or twice, and he generally backs off and walks away. We aren't friends, but he doesn't attack me. Although...I never let any visitors in there.

It kinda depends on how much you like him and how good he is to the hens. Mine is not great to the hens, so he will be replaced soon. My other roo is stellar, and will have a home here forever. There are amazing ones out there if yours ends up ugly.

ETA - Definitely read Gritsar's info! I was just about to find the link, and saw that I was beaten to it
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I definately do this and have every since he started mating. And to this day he may slip up sometimes and I chase him off of her but for the most part he doesn't mate them while I'm around.

I hope he is just feeling gutsy and he now(or will) knows that is unacceptable.
hmm.png

Ok yesterday no problems. But this morning he did it again, came at me with both feet and scratched my leg. I chased after him to pin him down but I couldn't get him. I went back out a couple hours later went to try and catch him so I could hold him hoping he would feel dominated. While I was trying to catch him he came after me again with both feet - twice, again scratching my leg, I kicked AT him he didn't even seem to care. I stood there glaring at him, I was standing my ground - I was so mad. He was seriously challenging me. He eventually backed off. I felt like I was in a boxing match - funny but not.

We had clipped his spurs awhile back since the girls were getting bare back, good thing.

I honestly do not think I want to go through this drama. I just want to enjoy my flock without having to keep my guard up, carry a stick or get into a sparring match. I even re-read GRITSARS rooster reform.

Am I giving up to quickly?? Why do I feel so guilty?!

40434_023.jpg

Last edited:
This is a common problem in certain breeds, over the years i have raised birds i have found agressive birds wont just up and stop being that way. I have had only a very small number that i could actually break them from doing that, very few and they tend to attack when your back is to them. I also dont tolerate a repeatedly agressive bird if its clear hes not going to stop and like all genes i definetly do not breed these birds, case they pass it to their offspring. I would get rid of the bird and get one that isnt agressive, who wants to fight off an agressive bird every time you go to feed and water your animals? Good luck, God bless.

Back
Top Bottom