I can't believe how many chickens you guys have

mendogurl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
So, I have a family of four, and figured eight chickens would give me more than enough eggs, but so many people here have 20 birds, 50 birds.
What do you do with all those eggs??

Yeah, I thought the same thing at first. It's just like any other addiction, you're content and happy at first and then you get to where you need more and more.
I sell the eggs at work.

Last edited:
We're up to approximately 100 (can't make them stand still to get a good count!) and thinking of adding more. If your area is like mine, people will start crawling out of the woodwork wanting farmfresh eggs. Just give a couple dozen away and you'll have people hooked--kind of like the tobacco companies used to do
lol.png

me&thegals :

We're up to approximately 100 (can't make them stand still to get a good count!) and thinking of adding more. If your area is like mine, people will start crawling out of the woodwork wanting farmfresh eggs. Just give a couple dozen away and you'll have people hooked--kind of like the tobacco companies used to do
lol.png

How do you get the nicoteen into the eggs??​

I have 44 hens/pullets, but they all don't lay everyday and some aren't laying yet. I am averaging about 15 a day right now. There always seems to be 1 or 2 molting, a couple having off days and not laying, a few being broody. But even with all that, I am getting at least 7 dozen a week, they add up quick. I give some to family and friends and DH sells some to people that come into his work. I also sold 5 dozen at the last poultry auction.

Many of my eggs are pullet sized and some are bantam, so I am not getting enough large/extra large eggs consistently enough to set up regular buying customers.

Quote:
Ditto.
We also give them to people we know, who are struggling.

You see, it is not about the eggs; it's about the CHICKENS.
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

It is only the parental unit and myself, the dog and two cats and I have 10 out of 25 that I am keeping. I thought the more the merrier or maybe I'll cook more. Mmmmmmmm, pancakes!
big_smile.png

I had this grand idea that I would get four, ended up geting 21 last fall. Now I received 15 more Friday. And will be ordering another 50 next month. This is an addiction, plus as someone said earlier people come out of the woodwork to buy eggs. I now with my 21 have approximatly 10 dozen eggs a week. I can not keep up with the demand. So I will order more.......

21 8 month olds and 15 5 day old chicks

Back
Top Bottom