i cant get a nice chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissyMoo, Jun 27, 2008.

1. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    we just adopted our fourth chicken and we have room for one more but i want to make sure that i get one that is nice and wont peck at my heels do you know of any breeds that are better than other?

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It kind of depends on the individual chicken, but cochins are nice.

if your birds are pecking at your heels it sounds like they want attention, do they like getting picked up? if they are pecking you because they are mean, then shove them away with your foot, they'll get the picture eventually.

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, sometimes my chickens peck at my heels, like Kanchii said push them away with your foot, they will catch on.

I have to do that sometimes to roo's who are just mean.

I have buff Orp's and they are fairly calm.

4. hen

hen New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    HELLO i would go for a faverolle. or a brahama all of mine LOVE a good cuddle:love

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Silkies are very calm and sweet. I've heard great things about buff orps, too.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    My friendliest have been: Australorps, Delaware, Jersey Giants, Cochins, Red Sex Links, Buff Orps and Cornish Xs.

How do you relate or spend time with your chickens? Maybe you aren't giving them enough attention?

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Our Australorp hen is the best. Has her own little sweet voice that she uses only for people.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    "Nice" is relative. Some people have a higher tolerance for chicken shenanigans than others. Me, I tend to leave them alone and not pester them incessantly, so whatever they do is alright.
    The calmest I ever had were Australorps.

9. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Depends on what kind you have now, bantams or standards. I recommend Silkies as bantams and Buff Orpingtons or SL wyndotts for standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by