I cant help it...

Are you offering live or dry worms?
It makes a difference.:)
All of this great advice relies on treats, I’ve trained my first 3 to go into coop come to me with treats. CCL and a CCL/maran cross who was aloof but now is the one who always comes for cuddles at9 weeks. My current 3 chicks are French copper marans5 weeks and turn their nose up at all treats, even meal worms. They seem abnormal! I fear I won’t ever catch them when they go into the big run because they just won’t come to me.

:barnie:lau:lau:barnie
Are you offering live or dry worms?
It makes a difference.:)
Dry and my first lot acted like I was giving them crack, they go berserk for meal worms and will do anything. They have always taken treats from my hand, I have a cockerel and he was bold. There doesn’t seem to be any willing to be first for anything with this lot.

Humor me and have a go with live ones.
I think you'll be plesantly surprised.:)
:barnie:lau:lau:barnie
Dry and my first lot acted like I was giving them crack, they go berserk for meal worms and will do anything. They have always taken treats from my hand, I have a cockerel and he was bold. There doesn’t seem to be any willing to be first for anything with this lot.

would that also work as I used a clicker and treats?
That's exactly what you want to do! Clicker training works with any animal. Dog trainers that want to get better with their clicker training, go to "chicken camp" where they train chickens with clickers. Chickens move quickly, so you need to be fast with the click. Be sure to "load" the clicker first (create an association with the click and a treat) Work with one bird at a time, away from the others. Have fun with it. A good starting point is to teach her to step up on your hand, then you can walk away from the others to do more training. I taught mine to do that, by holding my arm in front of her chest, right at thigh level, and holding a handful of mealworms just out of reach, so she would step on me to get to them. Took about a day, five minutes at a time, 3 sessions.

You always have your voice with you. Do you always have your clicker? Clickers were originally used to train dolphins, which happen to click to communicate. Yes you can use a clicker to train other critters, but why? You can also use a whistle or a trumpet, but why? Dolphins hear a clicker better than a voice. Your chickens can hear your voice. Save a step in training and use your voice. My opinion.

Back
Top Bottom