I can't imagine living in the North....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cameldairy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    sorry, but I live in south Georgia, and I think it's cold when it's below 60 degrees. My animals all seem to share my thoughts. Today, I had to kick on the air conditioner when it got a muggy 75 degrees INSIDE!!! We do get a little winter, sometime it will hit a devastating 30 degrees for a night or two!!!!! So My heart goes out for all you northerners and your animals!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Thank you for your thoughts. It's awful cold, but we persist anyway.
    It's murder to put up wire fence for chooks, though. Ugh. Murder.
    So cold.... [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Do NOT tell my chickens that there are places that do not get snow in winter....They will pack up their little chicken suitcases and hitch a ride south!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I will send you pics when we are in the heart of winter.. we are supposed to get down to -15 deg, C by the end of the week

5. cameldairy

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    It just hurts my heart to imagine so many folk in so many hardships throughout the whole winter. I find myself wishing you could ALL come down here to my farm for a winter's break. My hubby says "I can't save the world", but between you and me, I think we can do an awful:love:love lot!

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    A balmy 58F here in North Georgia tonight....thats cold enough for my liking....

cold and rainy over the weekend (in the upper 30s, low 40s) and we had a fire in the fireplace all weekend. Yup.....I'm a wimp and proud of it!!

PS - so are my chickens

7. cameldairy

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    I have a good friend there in Cartersville, Scott Allen at Petit Creek farm. Do you know this farm?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Psst Fldiver's chickens...it was 65 degrees here today and the sun finally shined!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Our summers are better here in the N. Ga. Mtns than down below "the gnat line". [​IMG] and we only get a little snow all winter, not like living in Ohio, Colorado and Utah where we used to live while in the AF. I admire Mrs. AK Bird Brain, keeping chickens in Alaska. Never would I do that if I lived where it was below zero for weeks on end! Hats off to you, Tori! Still, I do better in cool weather than in hot weather. I need a place that's between 50 and 70 all year long.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    this was last thur, from my living room window 14.6" in 24 hours
    [​IMG]

the wood pile, red barn (cuckoo marens),the 2 calf hutches have RIR and BCMarens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by