I can't imagine living in the North....

Quote:
My dad used to work for them at the state level. He worked with gasoline spills almost exclusively. Don't try to tell me about the EPA.
The amount of gasoline required to combat a hill of fireants is very small, maybe 1/2 gal TOPS (heck the stuff is expensive!) and on a sunny day that stuff ain't goin to soak deep enough to reach the aquafier.
In Arkansas ours isn't above ground like yours is -- it's somewhere at least 4' down where I live.

Do you know what they do to clean up a gasoline spill, say from a gas station leak, where gas is coming up in people's well water? Talking MANY gallons spilled. THey stir up the ground to expose it to sunshine and air to make it dissapate faster, because gasoline has a short half-life.
A little bit spilled on the surface ain't lasting very long at all, but it sure kicks the fire ants out.

I spent the whole first year we lived here combatting fire ants with stuff they sell for it. You know, the environmentally "safe" stuff that has all the warnings on the bag....
roll.png

In desperation one day, I took the leftover lawnmower gas to them, and they didn't come back for almost a year! Now I don't waste time with the crap from the store, and ya know what, I don't step in fire ant hills when I mow either! You can just keep your Amdro if it works for you. I'll stick to what works for me.

It was -40 c here in alberta just a little while back.
Doing chores was misruble but I wouldn't want to move.

smile.png
I was born and raised here in the great state of Minnesota. I've been all around the whole country in all kind of seasons and have finally come to the conclusion that i will never leave here. I live on the lake i was born on and have fished it all my life, summer and winter. I've seen 4 ft of ice on the lake and we still drill through it to fish and we do that everyday all winter. I'll admit that life is tough here and the weather very extreme. However, you can't beat the 4 seasons here and i revel in every bit of it. The solitude here in the winter is awesome. ( by January all the riff-raff has pulled out). I live close to a state hwy and there are days when only a few cars go by.
My girls are doing fine in their insulated, well ventilated coop with no heat. I'm getting plenty of eggs on a steady basis. My only source of heat is wood so, i have plenty to do.
It's all got to do with the way we were raised and what we are willing to tolerate to get what we want.
cool.png

We finally got all dug out yesterday(see my earlier post) only to realize that no one had gone through on the road. So we pulled out the 4w drive and made a break for it today.
Was the first day we had been to the road, much less to town since the kids got out for Christmas break last Tues.
Weather station says we got 14 inches but how does that add up to 12-16 foot drifts in our yard and around the barn?
I love the snow but hate to have to move it!

Back
Top Bottom