I caught my hens eating styrofoam

OrganicFarmWife

Crowing
Oct 21, 2015
No where Nebraska
I bought a new appliance and the box had some styrofoam in it. I didn't think much of it, just left it in the box. DD took some of the styrofoam outside and left it in the sidewalk. I looked outside to see three of my birds eating it. They quite a bit gone before I caught them.
I know chickens have an amazing digestive system, but I am not sure how it handles styrofoam. Am I going to lose 3 birds?

sphinxface

Songster
5 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
My only thoughts is that it could impact their crops, maybe feeding them olive oil(sardines packaged in olive oil is a treat i like to give my sick hens) to keep everything lubricated until they pass the styrafoam is something that seems like a good idea that couldnt hurt them?

Last edited:

OrganicFarmWife

Crowing
Oct 21, 2015
No where Nebraska
My only thoughts is that it could impact their crops, maybe feeding them olive oil(sardines packaged in olive oil is a treat i like to give my sick hens) to keep everything lubricated until they pass the styrafoam is something that seems like a good idea that couldnt hurt them?

No sardines, but I do have oil packed tuna in the disaster kit. I will give that a try, cus your right it cannot hurt.

chickensrock12

Songster
Sep 22, 2015
Utah
That doesn't seem good. They are problely going to be stuffed up with a lot of food for a couple of weeks. Don't worry so it will be fine, but try to keep stuff like that away from them.

Top Bottom