1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I caught my hens eating styrofoam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrganicFarmWife, Jul 15, 2016.

1. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I bought a new appliance and the box had some styrofoam in it. I didn't think much of it, just left it in the box. DD took some of the styrofoam outside and left it in the sidewalk. I looked outside to see three of my birds eating it. They quite a bit gone before I caught them.
    I know chickens have an amazing digestive system, but I am not sure how it handles styrofoam. Am I going to lose 3 birds?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

My ladies are idiots and ate a ton out of the ceiling of their coop before I finally gave up and pulled it out. It's not really good for them but it's not usually deadly either.

3. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    My only thoughts is that it could impact their crops, maybe feeding them olive oil(sardines packaged in olive oil is a treat i like to give my sick hens) to keep everything lubricated until they pass the styrafoam is something that seems like a good idea that couldnt hurt them?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  4. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Thank you. I knew other birds had eaten it, but I didn't know the result

5. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    No sardines, but I do have oil packed tuna in the disaster kit. I will give that a try, cus your right it cannot hurt.

6. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    That doesn't seem good. They are problely going to be stuffed up with a lot of food for a couple of weeks. Don't worry so it will be fine, but try to keep stuff like that away from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by