I could cry. HELP!

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
Long story short, we are hatching our first eggs. They are supposed to hatch today. Woke up and the power had gone out in the room they were in. So they were at about 75° for who knows how long. I think the humidity was fine but....I’m in tears. Are they likely all dead?

Long story short, we are hatching our first eggs. They are supposed to hatch today. Woke up and the power had gone out in the room they were in. So they were at about 75° for who knows how long. I think the humidity was fine but....I’m in tears. Are they likely all dead?
Broody hens sometimes take hour long breaks or longer when they need to eat / poop / bathe.... the residual temperature in the brooder is probably fine. For lockdown (last three days) the temp should be lowered to about 98 degrees and the humidity should be around 60 / 65%. I would bring everything back to normal and wait... do you see any pips?

No pips. I hear no chirping (never have). I’m so worried :( we just had a stillborn baby (human. Lol) and my girls have been so devestated and were SO excited for these chicks to hatch. If they all die...omg.
Wow.... I’m terribly sorry to hear that.
If you hear chirping, you’re probably fine. Key is to LEAVE them be... they don’t always hatch on day 21.

This is our first experience with Muscovy ducks. Mommy laid 30 eggs and 20 hatched. She led them all today off to the pond today leaving 10 unhatched behind. As we collected the unhatched eggs to candle we could hear one still chirping inside her egg. Knowing mommy wouldn't be returning we helped the process along by opening the egg up to give her a second change and brought her in the house. She seems stong as we keep her wrapped up in a dish towel keeping her warm. It's only day one. What should we do with her in a couple days? Return her to her flock? We read to boil the unfertilized eggs and feed them as nutrients. What chance does this baby have? It so said seeing a large bird steal one of the babies. Out of the 16 I read we will be lucky if 2 survive the first few weeks. They have a better chance if we caged them. Is my Info correct?

I’m assuming ur using Fahrenheit correct?

there's no chirping :(
Alot of things going on here. Temp of incubation, humidity even before the power went out.
Couple hatches ago my temp controller turned off for unknown reasons. No heat in incubator minimum 6 hours up to 12. Couple days before lockdown. I still had a 80 percent hatch rate on large fowl eggs, bantams not so good.
Day 21 is a guideline they could hatch on day 23

Back
Top Bottom