I.D. Bands for your Peafowl

Peafowl tend to roam from time to time. I have had great luck in always getting mine home, but there are some amazing stories, sheer miracles and alot of sweat and tears involved.
I always felt there should be a way of banding them that was possible for the small backyard breeder. I looked and looked and tried all sorts of contraptions. Maybe there is something out there and some one can clue me in, but this is what I have come up with- and it works. Tack shops sell the brass name plates for saddles and bridles. the longer one works for the peacocks led, and the shorter wider one works for the peahen's leg. I had them engraved with JUST my tel# -in as big a font as possible-(in case someone is using binoculars to read it).
I used a file-to soften the corners and sharp edges- important. Bending the band around a round object- using hammer and pliers, I get it into a nice ring. The metal isn't as strong as a true poultry band and the ends don't meet perfectly, but that's okay with me. My hen has walked into the yard trailing a vine caught in her band, and then a week later come home with no band at all. So I figure its strong enough... but not too strong that it doesn't offer a break-away feature for safety.
Getting the band on is quite a show- do not let any one video tape you, unless you enjoy being on Utube.
My Peafowl roost in the hen house during the winter, and bad summer storms- so that's when I strike. I wait till dark, and with flashlight clenched in my teethe- approach roosting birds. Keeping the lights out, helps...till you drop the band in the straw, which by the way, is the same color as the brass band. Also, peacocks tend to kick when you squeeze something around their leg. Hopefully you cleaned the bedding and bought extra bands. I've been putting these bands on my birds for a couple years now and it works for me. Its a huge relief when they do wander, but of course, now they hardly ever leave. Murphy's law. I do have to replace them now and then, but not often.
The bands I have pictured are not my favorites. I mail ordered these replacements and received a slightly different size and width than before. Anyway, they still work, and you get the idea.
If there is some thing better out there, please let me know.Peacock ID Bands.
Re-posting, Before you Free Range your birds for the first time- think about banding them. Its that time of year when they want to go looking for love. Banding , just takes some of the worry out.

I do not like these bands .... too wide .... there is no place to move!

I prefer one like that ... more flexible, it moves well .... there is no discomfort !

On the second pic there is still the safety band. At six months they can lose their large band !

Peafowl tend to roam from time to time. I have had great luck in always getting mine home, but there are some amazing stories, sheer miracles and alot of sweat and tears involved.
I always felt there should be a way of banding them that was possible for the small backyard breeder. I looked and looked and tried all sorts of contraptions. Maybe there is something out there and some one can clue me in, but this is what I have come up with- and it works. Tack shops sell the brass name plates for saddles and bridles. the longer one works for the peacocks led, and the shorter wider one works for the peahen's leg. I had them engraved with JUST my tel# -in as big a font as possible-(in case someone is using binoculars to read it).
I used a file-to soften the corners and sharp edges- important. Bending the band around a round object- using hammer and pliers, I get it into a nice ring. The metal isn't as strong as a true poultry band and the ends don't meet perfectly, but that's okay with me. My hen has walked into the yard trailing a vine caught in her band, and then a week later come home with no band at all. So I figure its strong enough... but not too strong that it doesn't offer a break-away feature for safety.
Getting the band on is quite a show- do not let any one video tape you, unless you enjoy being on Utube.
My Peafowl roost in the hen house during the winter, and bad summer storms- so that's when I strike. I wait till dark, and with flashlight clenched in my teethe- approach roosting birds. Keeping the lights out, helps...till you drop the band in the straw, which by the way, is the same color as the brass band. Also, peacocks tend to kick when you squeeze something around their leg. Hopefully you cleaned the bedding and bought extra bands. I've been putting these bands on my birds for a couple years now and it works for me. Its a huge relief when they do wander, but of course, now they hardly ever leave. Murphy's law. I do have to replace them now and then, but not often.
The bands I have pictured are not my favorites. I mail ordered these replacements and received a slightly different size and width than before. Anyway, they still work, and you get the idea.
If there is some thing better out there, please let me know.Peacock ID Bands.
Band Your Birds! I would be sick if I lost my birds. So, as I'm heading out to the coop to replace the band on my male(he came in for a storm tonight), I'm re-posting this to remind people all the ways of banding your peas, before you lose them! The ones I mention here are very nice, but not practical for the large flock owner. But, these are great for the person who only has a few peafowl and can afford a few $ per band. If you read through the thread, you'll see a few other sources for more professional style bands etc....

Back
Top Bottom