I did it! I processed 4 this morning!!! PICS ADDED

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
lol.png

Easy Peasy! I used the "snap" method my BIL and sister told me about -- they do it with wounded live game birds in the field after the dogs retrieve them. I thanked each one for its sacrifice, held it for a moment to calm it, then took hold of the head and let go of the body and gave a really quick, fast shake. INSTANT -- I could feel the skull separate from the vertebrae. It was totally instantaneous. I feel very comfortable with this method, it was sudden.

I then took large extremely sharp scissors and removed the head, and hung them upside down to bleed out for a couple of minutes.

To clean them, I did skin them, and I did waste the wing tips and tail because it was too hard to skin.

It took less than 45 minutes in total from live chicken to soaking out in the sink in salt water.

All or my initial angst is gone, nothing to this.

Total dressed weight for the four four and a half week old Cornish Cross without skin and with necks, livers, hearts, and gizzards was 9.4 lbs after I tared the scale to compensate for the weight of the container.

I don't know if 9.4 lbs is good or bad at this age, but I'm pretty happy with them -- a good Cornish hen size, IMHO.

Last edited:
That is a good size for 4 dressed Cornish. The first time is the toughest on the soul, after that it's all easy going. It's worth it for the health benefits and taste
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice job! I'm going to do my remaining six girls next week, or at least a couple of them. They'll be eight weeks and 5 days. What's the oldest I can wait? I don't have a ton of room in the freezer so am thinking if doing two a week for the next three weeks.

Glad to hear that it went so well - growing my first batch right now so I like seeing these positive posts! Thanks for sharing
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom