I did it!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken411, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    I canned chicken stock! This was my first time making chicken stock or using a high pressure canner. I found one on my local online classifieds for $45. I used frugal's recipe and I got 24 quart jars, would have been 25, but one cracked in the canner. That's almost one quart of stock per chicken. I use this stuff all the time, so I am so excited. This should last me a long time! Thanks to those who encouraged me. The canning wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, now peeling the chicken feet, ugh! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ben&momschicks

ben&momschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    [​IMG] Great job! Nothing beats homemade stock. You are reaping the rewards of raising your own chickens. I just raised my first batch of meat chickens this spring and, while the processing troubled me a bit, I am determined to not buy grocery store chicken again.
    Karen

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you are inspiring me!!! [​IMG]

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Congrats. Thats sooo cool.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Me too!

Make soup out of the stock I make but have not been brave enough to can yet. [​IMG] for you!

6. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i dont know much about canning at all.... can you tell me what you're going to use it for???

7. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    ben&mom-processing troubled me a great deal, but I am starting to get over it, especially now that I have everything cut up and parted out. It took longer to do that, but I just rarely cook a whole chicken and it looks more like what I am used to now, so less troubling. Besides it is so much easier to me to just grab a bag of thighs or breasts or drums, it's how I'm used to cooking. My MIL prefers to cook a whole chicken and then make broth each time. Here's a picture of my 26 cornish cross in my freezer, only four wholes. They sure do shrink when you part them up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Katy-ME inspire YOU! [​IMG] You are the cooking queen! Thanks for the compliment [​IMG]

Horse & Farm-Thanks!

Thundrr-Any time there is a soup or a sauce or a gravy. It's also great for stir fry or sometimes I add it to mashed potatoes for a flavor boost [​IMG]

Edited for typo

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by