I didn't think Polish went broody?!

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
I have a definite broody polish hen. She's just about a year old. Trying to hatch golf balls
hmm.png

Think she may stay broody long enough to hatch some eggs? Going to see if my sister has any she can bring over on Easter.

I didn't think Polish hens WENT broody?

Well, she's up running around now... I guess I'll give her a couple days to figure out if she really wants to hatch something before giving her fertile eggs.

I was out and did some renovations on the run today, so I suspect I disturbed her
sad.png

All hens can go broody. I've heard of many broody Polish Chickens.
big_smile.png
If she's been on the nest for longer than 48 hours straight, she probobly was broody. I'm sure she'll be back on the nest in no time.
big_smile.png
Also, to reduce the chances of her coming of the nest, you should separate her flom the flock into a private, enclosed nest.

My mom's friend has only one Polish hen and she went broody. Very mean, too! Truly a protective mom. I've seen rare pics of Polish hens mothering a brood. It can happen...not likely, but everyone has a chance to be stricken with the broody-bug.
big_smile.png

You're very lucky! This doesn't happen often.

I just went out after dark to check and her fuzzy behind is firmly parked in that nest box... I SO want to find some fertile eggs to stick under her!

Apparently, my sister ate her roo when it got to be a nuisance, so I have no eggs for her!

I've been eyeing up the hatching egg BST forum, but I need immediate gratification. I want to find someone in my area that I could pick up eggs from tomorrow!

Go for it....
pop.gif

I had a Welsummer that hatched out a nice brood and stuck with them longer than any other broody I've had. And from what I've heard Welsummers don't go broody
idunno.gif

There are two houses within 5 miles of me that have chickens. I see them wandering around every day and I believe I've spotted a roo with them.

I wonder if I knock on their door tomorrow and ask to buy fertile eggs from them they will think I am crazy...

Ooh! I found someone local on BYC who has some eggs for me!

I hope this works and the silly hen decides to stay on her nest!

Back
Top Bottom