I didn't think Polish went broody?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterHill, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I have a definite broody polish hen. She's just about a year old. Trying to hatch golf balls [​IMG]

Think she may stay broody long enough to hatch some eggs? Going to see if my sister has any she can bring over on Easter.

I didn't think Polish hens WENT broody?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Polish are not knowen for going broody.
    I say give it a try.

3. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Well, she's up running around now... I guess I'll give her a couple days to figure out if she really wants to hatch something before giving her fertile eggs.

I was out and did some renovations on the run today, so I suspect I disturbed her [​IMG]

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    All hens can go broody. I've heard of many broody Polish Chickens. [​IMG] If she's been on the nest for longer than 48 hours straight, she probobly was broody. I'm sure she'll be back on the nest in no time. [​IMG] Also, to reduce the chances of her coming of the nest, you should separate her flom the flock into a private, enclosed nest.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom's friend has only one Polish hen and she went broody. Very mean, too! Truly a protective mom. I've seen rare pics of Polish hens mothering a brood. It can happen...not likely, but everyone has a chance to be stricken with the broody-bug. [​IMG]

You're very lucky! This doesn't happen often.

6. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I just went out after dark to check and her fuzzy behind is firmly parked in that nest box... I SO want to find some fertile eggs to stick under her!

Apparently, my sister ate her roo when it got to be a nuisance, so I have no eggs for her!

I've been eyeing up the hatching egg BST forum, but I need immediate gratification. I want to find someone in my area that I could pick up eggs from tomorrow!

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Go for it....[​IMG]
    I had a Welsummer that hatched out a nice brood and stuck with them longer than any other broody I've had. And from what I've heard Welsummers don't go broody [​IMG]

8. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    There are two houses within 5 miles of me that have chickens. I see them wandering around every day and I believe I've spotted a roo with them.

I wonder if I knock on their door tomorrow and ask to buy fertile eggs from them they will think I am crazy...

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Why not? Might make a friend.

10. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Ooh! I found someone local on BYC who has some eggs for me!

I hope this works and the silly hen decides to stay on her nest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by