I DO NOT LIKE IT!

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I am frozen- and I have decided that I really DO NOT LIKE carrying water out to the chickens in freezing weather! AND...no matter how careful I am, it sloshes on me. So, then I have wet arm/leg trying to get in chicken yard while they are trying to get out.

I put their waterer on cinder blocks inside the coop so it wouldnt freeze...but they built a shavings mountain so they could fill the waterer anyhow. (I know they did this on purpose.)

AND I don't understand why they won't eat cracked corn? I feed them layer crumbles (they snubbed pellets) and scratch- but they leave the corn. They love corn on the cob, but why wont they eat cracked corn?

Spoiled birds.

Anyhow, I am just ranting.

Last edited:
It sounds like you could use a new project next summer -- getting electricity and some water heating/circulation equipment installed in your coop.
smile.png

Everything is frozen here too. I have one of those warmers from TSC in my indoor run and the one outside I bring in every night. I gave them oatmeal yesterday....at first they were unsure but it was all gone later. My duck current has no pond...froze solid. Should I get a bird bath warmer for it? or will she be fine without a pool for the next 5 months?

I bring my waterers in at night-wash them and then in the morning fill with hot/warm water and take them out. It' not as good as some ideas but I was also tired of frozen cold and wet!
barnie.gif

It was so cold here all day yesterday, that I had to go out 3 times and get them fresh unfrozen water. I am to cheap to heat the water so I use the bottom half of a milk jug. They are flexable enough that I can just pop out the ice and refill with fresh water. It works good for me. Then I am not carrying a huge sloshing bucket, just a gallon milk jug or 3!

I feel your pain. Every morning I head out there I think about how much easier it was when it was warm. This morning I asked dh to go out and give the chickens fresh water and he sorta gave me this look like he didn't really want to.
hmm.png

Living here in northwestern AZ, the waters don't freeze as often as most places, but the grateful response of the chooks to liquid water makes it worthwhile. Of course, once a day for a few weeks isn't anything like being where the temp. doesn't get above freezing for weeks. If I had to do it three times a day, I'd be looking at the heated waterers.

I have an extra waterer that I use in case of whatever. This year I keep that in the house and trade them off. Fill one... take it out... bring the other one in...repeat as necessary. I can live with doing wet chores in the cold... but add OKlahoma wind and I want to make it as dry as possible!!
Who wants to be damp AND frozen.
freezing.gif

Have you tried filling your waterer with warm water? That way if it gets on you, you won't freeze! My babies really seem to enjoy a warm beverage in the morning!

I'm in NC but we are having an unusually cold fall! I can't get used to this!

Back
Top Bottom