I don’t have a heat lamp…how can I keep my newly hatched chicks warm???

Not all countries/areas of the world have access to everything that might be needed, that doesn't mean they can't try with the supplies they have. They were asking for help, not to be scolded.

Lots of people have tried and failed because of lack of supplies (ex-unsecure coop/run) or not being educated. We are a community to help not point fingers
Thank you so much and I’m sure he didn’t mean to be rude it’s just that we can’t express what we want through message:)

My mom has raised chicks without electricity before by giving them a little place to huddle in. If there are enough of them in a small space they can warm the space up and do fine. I tried it my first time and lost a few chicks so I'd say you're doing just fine! And your parents are right about posting things on the internet :) People forget (or maybe don't know) that the internet was not designed to be safe or secure or even anonymous. And it has gotten worse since it was invented lol
That’s true and I hope that I will grow some good chicks out of them:)

That’s true and I hope that I will grow some good chicks out of them:)
Just remembered-this last batch of chicks I found a little wodden house at the pet store in the clearance bin. It was made for reptiles I think and just had a little door. I put that in my brooder and am keeping it for next batch of chicks. If you ever find something like that it might come in handy in your situation.

Just remembered-this last batch of chicks I found a little wodden house at the pet store in the clearance bin. It was made for reptiles I think and just had a little door. I put that in my brooder and am keeping it for next batch of chicks. If you ever find something like that it might come in handy in your situation.
I will make sure to buy something like that next time I visit a pet store:)

Baby chicks do not need to be warm ALL the time.
They like to run around and eat and drink, then go warm up, then run around again.

For warming up, they can do it under a mother hen, or under a heat lamp, or snuggled together in a box, or next to a bottle of hot water, or something like that. With a heat lamp, it's best to have the "warm" place be about 32 to 35 degreees Celsius (90 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, about the same as human body temperature.)

They need enough light to see during the day. If you have a blanket over their coop, make sure they get enough light during the day.

The first few days are when they need the most heat, and as they get bigger and grow feathers they are fine in cooler temperatures. So if they're already made it to 5 days and seem fine, you might just continue what you are doing.
Thanks so much for your advice, I also thought if they could survive 5 days with no problem they might just be fine for the rest of their lives:)

I know right?I searched on google and it said they will be fine and a heat lamp is not necessary at all,I mean they have had no problems for five days and we raised 2 other flocks by keeping them in that temperature in their first week,so I think they will be just fine.
I'd assumed you'd just acquired them at 5 days old. I should gave asked if you'd hatched them.

Back
Top Bottom