I Don’t know what to do with this duck egg

JacobTheEggHatcher

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
Today is day 29. The duckling piped yesterday but the pip never went all they way through. It only cracked the top layer of the egg and there was like a plastic layer. I noticed that the duck was constantly pecking at that plastic looking coat for over 12 hours. So I helped it and opened it a little. It’s been three hours from then and the duckling did not make any progress. What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 3
Look for the article on assisted hatches. If the duckling is opening and closing its mouth wait to help. That means it is still absorbing the yolk. If you still see blood veins wait. They will dissolve before it is ready to hatch. Do only a little at a time having the duckling do as much as possible on its own.

Look for the article on assisted hatches. If the duckling is opening and closing its mouth wait to help. That means it is still absorbing the yolk. If you still see blood veins wait. They will dissolve before it is ready to hatch. Do only a little at a time having the duckling do as much as possible on its own.
thank you

80% is a little high even for hatch. I would try to bring it down to around 60% if you can. You can actually drown the ducklings inside the egg if the humidity is too high especially at hatch. Most ducklings take 24-48 hours to hatch. Usually it's not recommended to step in unless it's beyond the 48 hour mark or close to it. The "rubber" as others have said is the membrane and it's normal. Ducklings will often pip the shell without fully penetrating the membrane at first. Once they start to fully "unzip" the membrane they usually hatch within a couple of hours.

80% is a little high even for hatch. I would try to bring it down to around 60% if you can. You can actually drown the ducklings inside the egg if the humidity is too high especially at hatch. Most ducklings take 24-48 hours to hatch. Usually it's not recommended to step in unless it's beyond the 48 hour mark or close to it. The "rubber" as others have said is the membrane and it's normal. Ducklings will often pip the shell without fully penetrating the membrane at first. Once they start to fully "unzip" the membrane they usually hatch within a couple of hours.
I have read online ''With ducks, aim for 55-60% humidity to start. Then, for the last 2-3 days of incubation, raise that humidity to 80%. Maintaining those levels of humidity in a non-commercial incubator can be difficult.''

Back
Top Bottom