I dont know if my duck is malpositioned!!

Mellyrose567

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
Hello everyone! I am new to this site (and hatching eggs) but have read so many posts already. However I cant seem to find much information about how to tell if my duck is malpositioned. I cant see anything while candling. It's day 30 and I see what looks like an attempt to pip in the middle of the shell. I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing but when I candle it it looks like the duck is all the way up by the smaller side of the egg. I dont hear chirping but it past the float test. It was "rockin and rollin" so I know it's still alive . What do I do? How can I tell if it needs my help. I love this little guy already and really dont want him to pass away if I can help, but I also dont want to kill it by helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I just practiced on a infertile egg and think I can do it but dont want to if it's not necessary. Would you recommend maybe starting a hole in the air sac to see what position it is? That way I cant hit a vein while investigating? It's pretty over due and hate to think its suffering in there but I dont want to cause harm
It may be over the "due date" but it may not actually be ready to hatch.
You can not go by the number of days because you (from the looks of it) do not know exactly what your temp and humidity have been through out. If you haven't calibrated a thermometer to know for sure your temp could have been way off, which can cause things (the duck) to not develop on time.

This is not a fun situation to be in, I know, but you open it you will kill it if it is not ready.

It may be over the "due date" but it may not actually be ready to hatch.
You can not go by the number of days because you (from the looks of it) do not know exactly what your temp and humidity have been through out. If you haven't calibrated a thermometer to know for sure your temp could have been way off, which can cause things (the duck) to not develop on time.

This is not a fun situation to be in, I know, but you open it you will kill it if it is not ready.
Thank you very much for all your help. Im going to leave it alone for now. I will post updates when I have them

What does the air cell end look like when you candle it? Is it still round like it had been through incubation, or is it out of shape?

I agree that bruise spots usually mean they are trying to pip there, and just didn’t make it thru the shell. Sometimes they scrape the inner membrane and a little of the fluid seeps between the membranes and causes the bruise. But it is kinda oblong.

Do you know if the spot was there before, or did it just appear?
15DF8E8B-DD96-4A8C-92AB-CDC06453E07C.jpeg

The air cell should be drawn down by now. Especially if it’s day 31. Are you positive of that? I’ve lost count many times, so I don’t mean that to sound rude. :D

I personally would try to pick a piece of shell off near the bruise. If your temps have been low (which is probably the case if day 31 is accurate) and try to locate the bill.
Your overall goal would be to get the bill in clear air, including the nostril holes. But avoid any blood or excess fluid if it’s gooey inside. If it is, you can gently use a quick-tip to help clear it away.
Yes I have a white board on my fridge and wrote the day I put them in on the board. I didnt count the first day though. Since then I've been counting the days so I'm positive its 31. Definitely doesn't sound rude I appreciate this help very much I know I'm putting you guys in a somewhat bad situation to because I know you want to give me the best advice. I work until 10 but will try taking some shell off when I get home. I'm home for the next two days so could keep a good eye on it. I will update you all when I have some news. Again thank you all so much

Home made incubator. No humidity gauge but have a bowl of water in it and have been spraying often
I am afraid your humidity might have been too high.
Before you try this again make sure you get a humidity gauge and another couple of thermometers.

Welcome to BYC! When my duck eggs get a bruise like that it usually means they are upside down and that is where they are trying to pip.

If it were mine I would very carefully remove the shell where the bruise is and verify that the bill is there.

Of course there is a chance that the bruise is not the bill and removing the shell there from there might not end well if that's the case.

I'm always nervous when I do it, and I am even more nervous when I advise someone to do this. When I do it I make a tiny hole in the center of the bruise then very carefully start removing small pieces of the shell until I find the bill. Most bill bruises are round, so I think there is the possibility that this bruise could be from something else.
I just practiced on a infertile egg and think I can do it but dont want to if it's not necessary. Would you recommend maybe starting a hole in the air sac to see what position it is? That way I cant hit a vein while investigating? It's pretty over due and hate to think its suffering in there but I dont want to cause harm

Back
Top Bottom